Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Degilding

I've begun degilding my TB. What I mean is removing the brassy gold @#$% from the bowtie emblems. The rear I learned through here and trial is simple. Just tear off the plastic "cap" and you have a really nice silver emblem. The front is a little different. I've seen some confusion on here about it. As for my 07 LS the front bowtie is two pieces, there is a plastic backing plate which is bolted to the grill with two bolts (10 mm I think) then there is a plastic cover which is adhered to the backing. I know most people paint the outside cover but what I did was seperate the two pieces, painstakingly (by that I mean pain in the @$$) removed the silver leaf underneath (yes its silver), then painted the inside of the cover with a dark charcoal metallic and reattached it to the backing plate with some silicone. The cover is not clear its actually kinda amber (makes the silver look gold) so what I ended up with is something I call "black gold". When it rains or is low light the emblem looks very dark gray but when its bright it has a gold cast to it.
Next up.... the emblems on the hubcap centers and the one on the steering wheel. Anyone have suggestions??

sorry so long just excited I guess! btw I would post pics but I'm either too new or too stupid.

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7,255 Posts
I like the rear bowtie, but I think you should get a billet one for the front or at least paint it to match the truck. Lose the side molding all together.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the rear bowtie, but I think you should get a billet one for the front or at least paint it to match the truck. Lose the side molding all together.
I need a better pic of the front. It is actually a dark charcoal most of the time. Bright light (ie camera flash) brings out the gold. I agree about the billet but am too cheap (ie whipped) to spend the money. My wife looks much the same as my girl in the pic when I don't spend all my cash on her or the kids :( As for the side moldings I also agree but I see it as cheap insurance when my wife takes it to Wal-Mall YIKES!

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Degilding or stripping gilt articles may be done by attaching the object to the positive pole of a battery and immersing it in a solution composed of 1 pound of cyanide dissolved in about 1 gallon of water. Desilvering may be effected in the same manner.????
loud and clear good buddy:thumbsup:

edit: i has no idea:duh:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Degilding or stripping gilt articles may be done by attaching the object to the positive pole of a battery and immersing it in a solution composed of 1 pound of cyanide dissolved in about 1 gallon of water. Desilvering may be effected in the same manner.????
:duh: There's a bit of gilding still showing on the front emblem. Guess I shoulda used more than a pound of cyanide to immerse the TB in but its all Wal-Mall will sell at one time.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
705 Posts
I'd love to find an answer to the wheels and steering wheel emblems. I painted/clearcoated the front and rear emblems on the truck, all thats left gold are the wheel emblems and the steering wheel one

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
34 Posts
looks good i think that is going to be done after the exhaust and lift on thursday

1 - 16 of 16 Posts