Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been raining alot and i saw some flooded roads this week does anyone know or have they done it but how much water or what depth can a stock 4x4 trailblazer drive through???

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
6,943 Posts
We had terrible rain in Ottawa a few weeks ago (which flooded my basement) and i was caught driving home from Montana's Steakhouse in the worst of it...Road were flooded, and i could see whater coming out of the front grille as i drove..i could tell it was spraying this high cause the runing and driving lights were shining through it...they was also hail (no damage luckily)...you just gotta make sure no water gets sucked into the air intake..i dont know abuot a limit, but i wouldnt go testing to find out either:no:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
158 Posts
I hve a 2wd and I had water over the hood at one point for about 5 seconds and it came out just fine.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
269 Posts
I managed to suck stormwater up the intake on an 86 Celica once. Stopped the engine dead. Water doesn't compress too well. Required a new piston and connecting rod.

The TB and clones should be able to take much deeper water than my Celica. However, even though you don't suck water up the intake (which is pretty high) be carefull that water does not enter the overflow vent on the transmission or transfer case, or axles. When I was a transmission mechanic in the early '80s every time we had one of those gully washer downpours that flooded some of the side streets, about a week later we would start getting cars with tranny problems. People would try to drive through foot deep puddles and water would enter the vent on the transmission. Over the next few days, the water and steam it made would ruin the clutches and bands in the tranny and it would burn up. I'm not sure if the transfer case or axles have vents, or even if the tranny in the TB has a vent, but it's food for thought. The tell tale sign is if you pull the tranny dip stick and the fluid looks like a strawberry milkshake you're doomed. The fluid should be clear and red.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Realistically, the water level should be below that of the exhaust and/or intake on the vehicle. The exhaust sits lower than the intake, however a moving vehicle will leave a wake behind allowing the exhaust to breath. Once water enteres the exhaust, you'll stall and be stuck.....running enough revs to push/keep the water out will help for a short time, however water being heavier than air will eventually push its way in.

The lowest portion of the intake sits just above bumper leavel, so provided the exhaust stays clear you'll blow up the motor when the water (or sustained wake) rises much above the bumper and gets sucked into the intake tube. As mentioned above, water doesn't compress and the result is usually a broken rod/piston.

So while you could navigate water up to the bumper, provided you keep the revs up and the exhaust clear, remember than you WILL begin to take on water after a few seconds through the door seals/drains. In addition, I've seen inner tie-rods and CV joints damaged due to water imersion, when the boot wasn't 100% intact. (Result is the tie-rods/CV-joint will fail shortly after the imersion). Guess the question is how much water damage are you willing to incur, as to how deep the water can be.....for no or minimal damage, basically the level cannot be much above the ground clearance of the vehicle. (8" inches in the case of a non-SS and about 7" for the SS guys).

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,267 Posts
thats what those neat snorkel looking things are on Hummers and rovers...

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
10,730 Posts
If you hit the water really fast your running boards will act like skis! :D Whatever you do, don't let off the gas. :D

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Rob said:
I'm not sure if the transfer case or axles have vents, or even if the tranny in the TB has a vent, but it's food for thought.
All the items that deserve vents (transmission, transfer case, and both differentials) have them. Tubes lead upwards at least a foot to keep water out. I've gone through 14-18" sand/mud bottomed water crossings, with 10.5" of ground clearance, and the wake effect works fine.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Submerge the alternator and you will be very lucky to not crap out. Good news is, the alternator is fairly high up! The big azz intake silencer could also work (very short term) as a water seperator.:D

·
Registered
194 Posts
I read a new Jeep Liberty brochure the other day. It actually stated that the Liberty was good for up to 20" water depth. Not bad for a little car like that. You would think that ours would be as good, but maybe not.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
jmlock said:
I read a new Jeep Liberty brochure the other day. It actually stated that the Liberty was good for up to 20" water depth....
Not to take anything away from the jeep, but that is a bunch of marketing poop. 20" of water in the right conditions can take out a humvee! The water has got to be still, you have to maintain just the right speed, no obstacles, etc. With the amount of electronics we have dangling from out TB's, I'd stay as far away from deep water as possible. Dont forget about the air injection reaction blower that's under the driver, the ABS system is down there as is the EVAP system. All super expensive stuff.:worried:

G/luck
Joel

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
jmlock said:
I read a new Jeep Liberty brochure the other day. It actually stated that the Liberty was good for up to 20" water depth. Not bad for a little car like that. You would think that ours would be as good, but maybe not.
Except that I now have a healthy respect for mud since my first embarassment in the desert without proper recovery equipment, I'd go try 2 foot water. Maybe later.

This little guy was sure trying hard:

But I do hate the aftermarket companies who make accessories like bull bar bumpers for Liberties, and ignore us:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wouldn't beleive the 20" deep for jeep. I had a 2000 Frontier with a 3" BL and 31's and I have had that thing in about 18" of water. But I also added vent tubes that went to the top of the bed. and some other precautions.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
562 Posts
i had 18 inches of water in my garage my TB was totalled. the BCM in the backseat got wet and fried everything, it was great. (sarcasm)

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
itchyfishnv said:
i had 18 inches of water in my garage my TB was totalled. the BCM in the backseat got wet and fried everything, it was great. (sarcasm)
Ick. I guess no wake effect in the garage, eh? Sorry to hear about a TB totalled for any reason.
[PS - went to school at WPI, but 33 years ago. :eek: ]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well from what i have taken in from everyone i would say a foot of water is probly the max i could go without damage... anyone disagree????

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
158 Posts
itchyfishnv said:

How did that happen?:confused:

·
Registered
194 Posts
MTPockets said:
The water has got to be still, you have to maintain just the right speed, no obstacles, etc.
Exactly. I'm still suprised it was in their brochure. You would figure that would open them up to all kinds of warranty claims in the future.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've always heard that if you keep the water below the top of your front bumper you'll be alright. If you keep the vehicle moving 5-mph or so, it will displace enough water to keep it out of vital places, but if you stop and allow the water to fill the voids you can get in trouble. I've never had my Trailblazer in any significant water, but I put my '72 Toyota Land Cruiser in 2 feet of water by accident. It made it, but I would never take that chance on purpose. Water in the intake is your biggest enemy. It will pop an engine everytime. I stay away from the open air filters that so many use, for the very reason that they usually take in water long before a closed factory box will. It took my friend two engines in his Montero Sport 4x4 before he was convinced to put the factory intake box back on. His insurance company wouldn't pay for the second engine because of the open K&N filter. I think they would have refused the first time as well if they had caught it during inspection. :cry: :( :cry:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts