Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been under my daughter's '02 GMC Envoy 4.2L 4x4 to change the transmission fluid yet, however when I went to get the parts (gasket and filter) the parts guy says "deep pan or shallow pan". I had to go outside to make sure I didn't accidentally go to the pizza place, but no...this is the Advance Auto Parts place. So how does one tell the diff? He says "well the shallow pan is a little shallower" welllll....what do I say to that without risking a pop to my schnozz? I was planning on doing this work this afternoon but I hate to buy both. Uless the best strategy is to buy both and return the one I don't use. So is there any way to tell before I jack the thing up and crawl under it to know which part I need?:confused:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
My brother insisted that ALL trucks get the deep pan, but that's incorrect. Seen way to many Envoys & TBs with the standard (non-deep) pan. Only way to tell is to look at the tranny pan, most of the 'deep' pans will have a section that's visibly deeper/taller as opposed to a totally flat pan. (Sort of like a step down). Safest way to to measure the tallest part, since there are some shallow/normal pans that have a more sedate step/ramp area. I believe the gasket is the same, since you can swap the pan type, however the filter makes the difference.....it has a longer tube to sit on the bottom of the pan, which holds more fluid as well.

Do a search on eBay for 4l60e pan and you'll quickly see the difference between the deep and standard pans. It really does look like there's maybe a 3/4 inch step down on most, but not all, of the pan bottom. There are also some differences in the shape on the OEM pan, but you may need to see one of each to know which is which. - Unfortunately, not even my build sheet mentions which pan is on mine, so not sure a dealer can even run the vin to find out. (The difference between the two is less than inch in depth by the way).

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
:iagree:
I was super confused the first time I dropped the pan on my 02, I grabbed a tape measure and got something like 2.75-3". I think the shallow pan is 1.5" or something like that.

As ylab said, if the pan steps down its a deep pan. If its straight across, shallow pan.

·
Registered
2003 olds bravada
8 Posts
Deep is deep

Yep if there is a step (1/2 to 3/4") in the bottom it is a deep pan.
I just changed a deep pan to a deeper one to help in towing.
saw both the regular and deep filter next to each other and the deep is a good inch higher.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts