Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone:

I debadged and took the moulding off this weekend. Fishing line to cut the tape went quick - removing all the tape and adhesive, not so quick :)

I finished the rear driver's side door and even used the cleaning polish on it. For the most part it is smooth and shiny, but there is a very minimal indentation in the shape of the moulding. At first I just thought it was residual adhesive, but upon closer inspection it's actually an indentation all the way around the outline of the moulding.

Did anyone else experience this? If so - how did you fix it, if at all?

I was thinking maybe a professional wax and buff?

Any feedback's appreciated before I do the other three doors this weekend!

- Erik, Philly-PA

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
2,006 Posts
dont know if this will help but on my '07 TBSS i ran into a slightly similar problem... on the back liftgate where it says TrailBlazer.. when we removed that it left behind like a shadow of the word.. you know like when its been on the vehicle for so long you can still see it in the clear of the paint... so my brother is an autobody technician and he brought up his equipment (rubber eraser, polish, buffer, etc...) buffed it and poliched it.. no more shadow :woot:...

but as for an indentation?? sounds :weird: to me.. but good luck.. thats all i had to do to solve my problem

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
3,227 Posts
That happened to my envoy. on all four doors. I tried everything from polishing to buffing. On my doors it does seem like someone did paint work around the molding b/c you can chip away at the edge where the lines are.
I just got them all repainted it was that bad.:x

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
but upon closer inspection it's actually an indentation all the way around the outline of the moulding.

Did anyone else experience this? If so - how did you fix it, if at all?

I was thinking maybe a professional wax and buff?

Any feedback's appreciated before I do the other three doors this weekend!

- Erik, Philly-PA
Unfortunately this problem relates to the pressure required to activate the bond of the 3M tape backing on the body side molding. In the assembly plant the body side molding roller tool needs to apply approximately 30 lbs of force against the molding to activate the cure in the 3M tape.

Its tricky enough to set the rollers to apply the dorce without causing sheet metal distortion, maintaining the exact force for thousands of vehicles is almost impossible. The machines ocassionally drift out of adjustment and sometimes during the tunein process some of the vehicles get moldings applied at 40-60 lbs of force, causing the sheet metal distortion that you have.

Plant quality does not check the sheet metal under the moldings so it escapes detection. The only consolation I can offer you is that it is possible that the moldings on the opposite side of the vehicle did not distort the SM.

Sorry , but I thought you might want to know why your truck has the problem. Good luck with the mod

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
That happened to my envoy. on all four doors. I tried everything from polishing to buffing. On my doors it does seem like someone did paint work around the molding b/c you can chip away at the edge where the lines are.
I just got them all repainted it was that bad.:x
now the problem that you ecxperienced is also due to the high pressure required to activate the bond/cure on the moldings 3M tape. In your v ehicles case I would guess that your clear coat had not fully cured when the molding was applied and the molding and.or tape broke through the clear coat thus damaging the finish. This was nearly a crisis within GM when they switched clear coat materials and this problem showed up in multiple assembly plants.

This problem occured on the wheel flares on the canyons in 20o5 and nearly shut down the assembly plant for a week until it was solved. The solution - less pressure on the wheel flare roller tools!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's on all four doors...

thanks for your feedback! It's unfortunate, but it seems that my ride was one of the ones with too much pressure :(

It is on all four doors, but not as bad as the driver side back door.

It's barely noticable on two of the doors though... in the end, if you don;t know to look for it and you're not at the perfect angle it is not really noticable and I like how it looks overall better than that moulding.

I'm going to have one more run at the doors with some polishing wax and then I'll post the finished product.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,733 Posts
Man that makes me nervous as I want to do this but ours is black and everything shows on that!:no::ugh:

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not as bad as I thought...

Looks like only one door had the indententation from the moulding. After I removed all the adhesive and polished the other doors they came out pretty good.

If the weather's nice this weekend I'll finish up the adhesive from the badges.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts