Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Debadging and Molding Removal

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  MAY03LT 
#1 ·
I am thinking of removing the molding and debadging the vehicle, but before I make that commitment. How is it fastened to the vehicle, badges and side moldings? and if I do remove them what should I expect to see beneath the covered area? also What is a good easy process to accomplish this? Any help would be greatly Appreciated!!!! :hail:

#8 ·
I couldnt find a be-all end-all thread

Everything is held on by double sided tape...some people have used a heat gun or hair dryer to loosen up the glue, but I let mine bake in the sun for a few hours, used fishing line in between the badges/body, and then used a rubber eraser to get the residual adhesive off (some people have used goo gone)...finally I used mequires 3 step (cleaner wax, polish, wax) to make it shiny.

#9 ·
Use fishing line to remove the molding/letters. Some people say to use goo-gone to remove the "sticky stuff", but I swear by Turtle wax bug and tar remover.:thumbsup:

I see you're from Ohio. If you haven't seen it yet, there's a big meet in C'bus in the spring. Check out the link in my signature line.

#10 ·
My 05TB Molding Removal

Here is what I did with everyones guidence. The Fishing line got me started but was getting painful even through leather cloves and hairdryer. So I caled a local body shop and got some help there and boy did that go faster...

Step 1
Get a 7 in 1 tool and a Heavy non abrasive towel.

Green Turquoise Aqua Teal Textile

Step 2
Wrap the Towel Doubled up around the Blade end of the scraper

Green Turquoise Teal Textile

Step 3
Plunge the covered scraper end into the space between the body and molding and draw the towel into the space pulling with the towel very slightly to seperate and Clue and molding.

Turquoise Green Teal Aqua Turquoise

Step 4
Remove the towel and pull using good old hands to seperate the Moldings. PULL SLOWLY

Automotive exterior Vehicle door Auto part Bumper Windshield

Step 5
Inspect the Area and Repeat with the other Moldings. Keeping in Mind that your only using the scraper to push the towel in the space and not the scraper to remove the molding. I was informed by the body shop that if you push to hard from the scraper you can go right thru the towel and into the paint, so you have been warned.

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

Keep in mind the fishing line works just fine and is quick too. I tried both and found the body shops way faster but more dangerous. Just my opinion, like always handel with care and good luck on all projects remember move slowly and heat the area thuroughly or warm it in the sun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.