Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm Interesting... So my 2005 Envoy XL with the 5.3 is starting to use oil. I have 48,000 miles on it. When I say starting I mean 5 quarts in 8000 miles. I have been getting the oil changed at the dealer since I bought it. I get the Mobile 1 with what I am guessing is a GM filter. Well this is my 3rd synthetic oil change and its the first one that I have used so much oil. I didn't use any on the first change and only had to add one quart on the second change. So I questioned two dealers about this. The first dealer (GMC only one near me) told me that GM says a quart every 2,000 miles is considered normal. The second dealer (Buick) said the same thing but he also told me this. He (master mechanic) told me that the 5.3's were not made to run synthetic oil. That the synthetic oil would coat the cylinder walls and rings so good that some oil would pass simply getting burned. He also said the oil life reading was based on regular oil. I have been getting my oil changed every 10,000 miles regardless what the readout says. GMC dealer said disregaurd the oil life reading while using synthetic and the Buick dealer said go by it. So he recommened going back to regular oil and and suggested that after a couple of oil changes it should stop using so much oil. So what should I think about all this. Crap or not??? Anybody...

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for that link. Very interesting reading. On an added note. Could the excessive oil use have anything to do with what I would call excessive soot build up on my exhaust tips?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
4,074 Posts
The stealership will tell you whatever they want...they want your business, after all that is their job!:D I run full synthetic Amsoil & an Amsoil filter, I do believe it is the 25,000 miles oil change. Yes, it was pricey for an oil change but in comparison you'd still spend the same doing it every 3,000.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
Hmmm Interesting... So my 2005 Envoy XL with the 5.3 is starting to use oil. I have 48,000 miles on it. When I say starting I mean 5 quarts in 8000 miles. I have been getting the oil changed at the dealer since I bought it. I get the Mobile 1 with what I am guessing is a GM filter. Well this is my 3rd synthetic oil change and its the first one that I have used so much oil. I didn't use any on the first change and only had to add one quart on the second change.
Are you sure they put the full amount of oil in on the third change? Sounds suspicious to me.

He (master mechanic) told me that the 5.3's were not made to run synthetic oil. That the synthetic oil would coat the cylinder walls and rings so good that some oil would pass simply getting burned. He also said the oil life reading was based on regular oil. I have been getting my oil changed every 10,000 miles regardless what the readout says. GMC dealer said disregaurd the oil life reading while using synthetic and the Buick dealer said go by it. So he recommened going back to regular oil and and suggested that after a couple of oil changes it should stop using so much oil. So what should I think about all this. Crap or not???.
Definitely CRAP!

Only truthful thing I read was the the oil life monitor WAS calibrated for dino oil.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
if you dont have the SS-- then your engine oil life is based on regular oil.
I have an I6- and at 146,000 miles.... my tail pipe looks like this....
you can still see the weld line on the pipe...

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys.... I figured they didn't know what they were talking about.... The soots been bugging me too so I printed the service bulliten to take back to the dealer with me so I can ask them about it.... I have seen what I believe to be really light grey smoke every so often when I start it but never really thought anything about it.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
I have seen what I believe to be really light grey smoke every so often when I start it but never really thought anything about it.
This is a symptom of worn valve guides. A little oil seeps in to the cylinder and gets burned when it is first started, resulting in a brief puff of blue or grey smoke out the exhaust.

You can tell when it is worn valve guides when you get a puff of smoke mostly when it has been shut off for a couple of hours. You generally don't get much smoke when it has only been shut off for a short while (because no oil has had a chance to leak past the valve guides yet) and you don't get a puff of smoke when it has been sitting for a whole day or two (because most of the oil has already leaked down out of the cylinder.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts