Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week I was a good neighbor and a bad vehicle owner. I used a jump box to start another persons car in the pouring rain. I left the driver's door open while doing so. On returning to my 2006 trailblazer lt, I had no radio.

Since then I have checked continuity on every mini fuse without finding the culprit. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for offering your ideas.

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Howdy neighbor! :tiphat Was your radio on to begin with, and then off when you came back to your truck? Or is the radio on, and there's just no sound from any of the speakers? Also, is your radio stock, or aftermarket with a GMOS adapter?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
More info

Thank you for the quick reply! My radio is on 98% of the time, so while I'm not certain, I would have to assume it was. When I came back it was not on and hasn't been since. It is a factory bose with 6 disc CD. The door chime idea came from best buy as I went to have them install a unit I had from a previous vehicle. He inquired about the chimes and I discovered they weren't working. He also suggested checking all fuses (i had checked the one marked radio before going to BB). They charge about $150.00 for the install kit for this trailblazer. I did not have them install the radio in hopes I discovered a way to fix mine.

The radio is completely dead, no power light when you press the volume knob, nothing.....

Thanks again!

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
If your fuses are fine, I would suspect a wiring issue somewhere. Something similar happened to me recently which is why I asked about having an aftermarket head unit with an adapter. What I ended up doing was taking a meter, and checking the constant power, and the ignition wires, to make sure the radio was getting powered properly. Ended up being the ignition signal from my adapter being the culprit. :mad:

Your circumstances seem strange though. You left your driver's door open right? Did the window and door lock switches get water in them? If so, did any of the buttons stop functioning? Assuming the rain is what caused the problem, seems like it should have affected the electronics in the door and not the radio.

Hopefully as some of the audio/electronics guys wake up, they'll chime in with some suggestions. Might also want to ask a moderator to move your thread to the audio section for better exposure.

:eek:fftopic: I'm in Carrollwood, what part of town are you in? We're having a meet at Picnic Island Park in 2 weeks, where a couple of the guys are having some mods done to their trucks. If you bought the adapter you needed for your other radio, we could help you install it. Much cheaper than dropping $150 @ BB :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All other features are functioning normally

Yes, everything else works fine... I'm physically in New Port Richey, Tampa just seems to be more readily recognized. Thank you very much for the invite! I hope someday to become an enthusiast of something outside of work and family, but for now, this more than fills my time (hopefully I can replace work one day).

I hope someone has a suggestion. It did seem unlikely to me that everything else door related works, and the radio and chimes do not. Still, it would be a heck of a coincidence that it not be related to the weather/water event given the nature of the problem and the timing of its presentation.

Thank you

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,339 Posts
My radio died something like that. I left the truck run for the passenger while I went in a store. Came back out and the radio was dead dead - like a fuse was blown. I forget what all I checked, but it ended up that when I pulled the radio fuse - checked it and put it back in - all was well again.
I know you said you checked yours, but try pulling it for a few minutes.:undecided

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
63 Posts
Try this too

Try disconnecting and reconnecting your battery.

I recently had an issue with my drivers seat controls. Tried all the fuses and nothing seemed to work.

I thought as a last resort before going to a service tech to unhook my battery. I left it for about 5 minutes and rehooked it, and that has taken care of the issue. Not sure if this causes a computer reset or not but the problem has vanished for me, maybe it will for you too.

Brian

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Try disconnecting and reconnecting your battery.
Ya know, this is a quick way to re-boot the computer modules in the truck, but............................. we have caused a lot of HVAC problems by pulling the battery.

My suggestion, is to pull the radio fuse to reboot the radio.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to each of you

If rebooting the radio can be accomplished by pulling the radio fuse, that has been done. I went by Chevy yesterday and they wanted 80 bucks to look at it. They said they would start by pulling the radio and seeing if it had power. So I think I will try that this weekend. Their replacement radios are $400 so I won't be using an OEM. If in fact it is a dead radio, I will look on line for the best price on the wiring harness that BB wanted 150 for and install my own radio. I guess after all this I'm kind of hoping it's dead (cause if not, what the heck do you do next). Seems like the easiest thing. I wish it had been the fuses.

Either way, I will post my findings as a reference for others in the future (I really want to try that battery thing though :D)

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
There was a new member from Bradenton who posted a thread about him selling an extra GMOS adapter he bought by mistake about a week ago, but I can't find the thread. You might look through the Trailvoy classifieds, since it looks like there are a few people selling theirs for a LOT cheaper than BB prices. :m2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts