Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well so i finally decided to do the de-rack mod on my trailblazer. I first tried the cap style and i didint like how it came out. So then i tried using the stock bolts and although i think it was not as obvious as the caps, still stook out a bit even with the washers cut off. So i finally decided to do what a member did here already and bought set screws :thumbsup: This came out the best, all you have now is that little nub sticking out the roof and nothing more. It is berely noticeble and the truck looks clean. I also felt taking off the running boards cleaned the sides up a bit as well. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,574 Posts
Looks good. I need to do my rack one of these days.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i was not planning on doing it, but i decided to see how it looks for the heck of it, and it looks a lot better. I also noticed it is a little quieter on the freeway. :woot:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Where did you get the set screws and what size? Looks very good!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes the running boards are a little heavy. The set screws i bought at osh and the size are 6MM metric written out like this 6mm x 20 x1.00 They were about 1.10 each and are about 1 inch long.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When installing the set screw i put a dab of clear silicone in the hole, then i screw in the set screw about a 1/16'' to 1/18'' under the nub so i can have some room for some more silicone on the top to seal it and cover it. Let that dry and took my touch-up paint and painted it all. Came out great.

·
Registered
108 Posts
yes the running boards are a little heavy. The set screws i bought at osh and the size are 6MM metric written out like this 6mm x 20 x1.00 They were about 1.10 each and are about 1 inch long.
Sorry, Im from Nebraska. What is an OSH? Is it a hardware or an auto parts store?:thx

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, Im from Nebraska. What is an OSH? Is it a hardware or an auto parts store?:thx
Osh is short for Orchard supply and hardware. Its a chain hardware store in california but again those set screws you should be able to find at your local hardware store.

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
2,006 Posts
Looks good man... just a little forwarning...

with the 20" SS wheels on there you are going to get a lot of Rock chips and a sandpaper like effect right at the bottom of your doors behind each wheel..for the front... and in front of each wheel for the rear... and on the rear bumpar...thats why the Tb's came with the running boards or mud flaps and there was a recall a while back to solve the problem.. I have a TBSS and they have a TSB on the SS's due to the rock chips, where they paint the problem areas and lay a 3M clear protectant film over it...all under warranty...

just an f.y.i. and something to look for...

:tiphat

EDIT: I just saw your pix again and noticed you do have mud flaps up front.. but wastch out for the rear

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks good man... just a little forwarning...

with the 20" SS wheels on there you are going to get a lot of Rock chips and a sandpaper like effect right at the bottom of your doors behind each wheel..for the front... and in front of each wheel for the rear... and on the rear bumpar...thats why the Tb's came with the running boards or mud flaps and there was a recall a while back to solve the problem.. I have a TBSS and they have a TSB on the SS's due to the rock chips, where they paint the problem areas and lay a 3M clear protectant film over it...all under warranty...

just an f.y.i. and something to look for...

:tiphat

EDIT: I just saw your pix again and noticed you do have mud flaps up front.. but wastch out for the rear
Thanks for the warning, I actually got the TSB work done on the sides from the rock chips. I did notice that after i put on the mud flaps i didn't get any more rock chips but the damage was done already. So i had the paint work dont to it, then i had the running boards added protection but i don't like the look of it. I will be adding the 3M clear protection over the sides if i notice it starting to chip again. Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
286 Posts
What are those rims you have on your TB?
Make Model!

Thanks for the Rack info I may be removing mine soon.

·
Registered
538 Posts
i deracked mine too i jus filled the holes w/ silicone looks ok for the time being. are you loking to sell the running boards?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
286 Posts
Sounds like a great plan to remove the rack. Could you post some pics of the finished product of the screws?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some of you were asking for a picture of the finished product of the roof nubs done with set screws and silicone, then touched up and here it is.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts