Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
In the early 80's I completed an engineering class, where the instructor was a retired mechanical engineer who had spent his entire life working at Ford, GM, and Chrysler. He said they all had the same policy: Design for 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. He said that all engineering design reviews had to meet two criteria: 1) Prove that the part would work for the design life; 2) Prove how the part would fail after the design life. The first requirement insured minimal in-warranty repairs, and served to protect the reputation of the brand-name. The second requirement insured parts were not over-engineered, which helped control costs, and guaranteed new cars sales in the future.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
In the early 80's I completed an engineering class, where the instructor was a retired mechanical engineer who had spent his entire life working at Ford, GM, and Chrysler. He said they all had the same policy: Design for 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. He said that all engineering design reviews had to meet two criteria: 1) Prove that the part would work for the design life; 2) Prove how the part would fail after the design life. The first requirement insured minimal in-warranty repairs, and served to protect the reputation of the brand-name. The second requirement insured parts were not over-engineered, which helped control costs, and guaranteed new cars sales in the future.
WOW!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
All done guys not that I did it due to Hernia surgery but a neighbor mechanic friend did it over the weekend on the side for $60 and I picked it back up in a couple of hours. A huge thank you to all that had contributed to helping me save $600 which really comes in handy with all that we have going on in our country, penny pinching is now the number one priority! You guys are the best

21 - 28 of 28 Posts