Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 TB is in the shop and I was informed that the dashboard has to come out in order to replace the blend actuator, can this be right? The drivers side vents blow hot air and the passenger side vents blow very cold. They tried the reset process a couple of times but didn't work. I don't want to get involved with removing the dash the way my lucks been running.
Thanks

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,410 Posts
These guys are trying to screw you over!!! The blend door actuator for the driver's side is easily accessed from under the dash. The only actuator that requires dash removal is the Recirculator. If this is your regular shop, I would have a conversation with them. If it is a new shop to you, I would go somewhere else.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
145 Posts
No, the dash does not have to come out! There are a number of videos on YouTube that will show you exactly how to do this job, it's not hard. EnvoyBoy2004 is correct, I would go some where else.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These guys are trying to screw you over!!! The blend door actuator for the driver's side is easily accessed from under the dash. The only actuator that requires dash removal is the Recirculator. If this is your regular shop, I would have a conversation with them. If it is a new shop to you, I would go somewhere else.
Maybe I got which actuator he told me but he offered to show it to me from under the dash but it was just too damn hot. I replaced one of them on the drivers side several years ago but he said that this one was at the very top and that you can barely touch it with your finger. I've been going to this shop for about ten years and on our Nextdoor website he has numerous recommendations but I will ask again which actuator that he is looking to replace and go from there.
Thanks for that info perhaps it will save me hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, the dash does not have to come out! There are a number of videos on YouTube that will show you exactly how to do this job, it's not hard. EnvoyBoy2004 is correct, I would go some where else.
Thanks I'll check into that.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
442 Posts
he said that this one was at the very top and that you can barely touch it with your finger.
If it is on the drivers side it can be done without removing the dashboard. All 3 on the drivers side are fairly easy access.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it is on the drivers side it can be done without removing the dashboard. All 3 on the drivers side are fairly easy access.
Not a whole lot of room at all might it be somewhat easier if some of the front dash panel was removed, I don't think that my arms could make into such a tight area even with the bottom panel removed. Going into it from the front would seem easier, I'm not as nimble as I was 20 years ago.
Thanks

·
Registered
442 Posts
remove the kick panel and the plastic duct that runs from the center across towards the left of dash. Just one plastic push in connection on the far left side bottom holds that duct. then it looks like this....

IMG_20190318_143506.jpg

The left one here is the defrost and the other is the mode. The drivers blend door is a little further back towards the rear of the vehicle

I'm over 60 and can get in there

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And this has been my favorite go-to set when working on things like this....

View attachment 55348
And this has been my favorite go-to set when working on things like this....

View attachment 55348
Thanks for those pics, I believe that I'd replaced that one about 10 years ago(60)now 70 and it tore the hell out of my arms and hands back then, I'm thinking about getting my 35 yo son to help. He's young and can take the beating! Thanks again

·
Registered
442 Posts
My biggest concern was getting the actuators off without breaking the plastic shaft they're on. I made a puller for that.

IMG_20191028_144526.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I must have changed a different one I believe that a plastic gear came on it but after looking at the pic there is no gear so it slides onto a plastic shaft? I changed the one that was highest up into the dash that's why I got all banged up the blend door one is further back towards the seat which I don't remember seeing but your pic shows it and it is apparently lower but looks just as hard if not harder to access.
Thanks again

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I must have changed a different one I believe that a plastic gear came on it but after looking at the pic there is no gear so it slides onto a plastic shaft? I changed the one that was highest up into the dash that's why I got all banged up the blend door one is further back towards the seat which I don't remember seeing but your pic shows it and it is apparently lower but looks just as hard if not harder to access.
Thanks again
Just tried the reset process but a no go and after getting on the floor using your diagram I must have replaced the defrost actuator years ago being the highest up and after looking at the blend actuator which is lower seems easier to get to after taking out the panel and other goodies but that's for another day.
Thank you so much, I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,410 Posts
You may also need to cut a metal bracket that is in the way of getting to actuator out. Good luck.

·
Registered
442 Posts
So I will preface this by saying my trailblazer is a 2002. I am assuming that other years shared the basic structure of the dash when I say ..... The drivers side blend actuator can be taken out without any cutting. It is tight in there and the right tools are needed to get it out of there but again, you do not need to cut anything.

Now then...the passenger side blend door actuator is the one! There you do have to either remove the dash or cut some metalwork to get it out.

About that white plastic gear on one of the actuators....Mine doesn't have that so if your does then there may be some differences. I have frequently seen that gear in pictures and read where some people need to remove the gear before installing the actuator.

·
Registered
442 Posts
And just in case you are curious why these fail.....old plastic gearing.....obvious crack in first picture. Look close for the missing tooth in the second picture.

IMG_20190319_184322.jpg

IMG_20190320_110114.jpg

1 - 20 of 28 Posts