Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a strange situation. My 04 LT all of a sudden in the middle of the day decided to light up the "Service 4WD", ABS, and brake warning lights on my dash. And both front and rear heaters stopped working. I have the dual manual heater controls (not the digital display). As far as I can tell the diverters aren't working because I don't hear them moving when I switch from floor to vent to defrost. The vehicle is otherwise running normally and all other accessories work. I reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for a couple hours with no change. Thoughts and ideas anyone? Thank you.

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,239 Posts
Flaky ignition switch is always high on the list for strange electrical problems.

Any fault codes show up?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good morning all! This same exact issue happened to my 04 LT this week! I was most concerned about the heat (it's been 15-25 degrees F the last few days!!) Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Have you had a chance to have diagnostics run on it yet? I haven't but I'm going to try to get it done today and will post results...

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
14 Posts
Take the instrument cluster out and remove the rear cover to expose the circuit board. You will probably find small dots of corrosion between the circus traces. clean all the corrosion with a little alcohol on a q-tip.

I cleaned the grounds did many other checks but this is what cured the ghost In my cluster. I fought this issue for years before coming across a thread where someone did the same. Do yourself a favor and try this first. The corrosion spots are small.

Pulling the gauge cluster is fairly easy. Remove the two top Phillips screws in the gauge cluster surround. Then the two bottom panels under the steering wheel 7 mm I believe. This exposes the bottom gauge cluster screws. Remove 4 cluster screws and unhook the wiring harness. With the steering wheel at the lowest tilt position pull the cluster out. There is a black cover clipped to the cluster that needs pulled off to expose the circuit board.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Dash lighting up - Solved!

Hey guys, finally got the truck in, and yes, it was a faulty ignition switch. For the first time in over a month (during a record cold spell in this part of the country) I have heat! And I don't have all the idiot lights staring at me any longer! Thanks to those who replied.

Driggle - did you get a fix for your situation?

·
Registered
2008 isuzu ascender
977 Posts
problem

This issue just never ceases to amaze me with how many people have this problem. Before this vehicle I have never heard and seen of people having a problem with the ignition switch and I'm on a few other makers forums .I have never had this issue on any other car and I have had a few Chryslers and a Ford . To say they used crap ignition switches is being kind. :weird:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven't messed with it. Been driving my other car until I have a bit of time to play with it...I'll get the ignition switch picked up or ordered today! Thanks for the info! I'll post again once I get back into it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello All!

Just got done changing out the ignition switch...and it worked! the instructions were on the forum here and it took me less than 10 minutes!

Thank you to all of you for your help!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts