Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple months ago I installed a 12" CVR with this amp:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_17526_Power+Acoustik+OVN1-2000D.html

First few days I wasn't impressed, but the sub seemed to sound better as the days went on. I suck at any type of tuning, etc, so the problem might be with the way it's set up. Also could be that I just didn't throw down enough coin for an amp.

Anyhow, certain tones will shake the whole TB...hard to believe this one 12 can do that. However, it does not like really low tones at all. Is this a limitation of the sub or just the amp isn't giving it clean base? Maybe I need to tune it better?

Thanks.

DAVE

·
Registered
2006 chevy
2,079 Posts
Factory Headunit Or aftermarket?? Bose or Not.. I learned if you tap the speaker wire after the Bose amp you will loose low end Bass. Cause Bose blocks low freq to protect thier speakers..

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
198 Posts
I looked at the rec. minimum box volume and that one is on the small side.

Rec. minimum is 1.75 cu. ft. ported.

So you might try and put some polyfill in the box and see if that helps too.

I put polyfill in every box I build, just to absorb the standing wave inside the box.

My wife went to walmart and got this stuff that was in a flat sheet roll, cut it a little bigger than the side you are laying it and it will stay in place without glue.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
I looked at the rec. minimum box volume and that one is on the small side.

Rec. minimum is 1.75 cu. ft. ported.

So you might try and put some polyfill in the box and see if that helps too.

I put polyfill in every box I build, just to absorb the standing wave inside the box.

My wife went to walmart and got this stuff that was in a flat sheet roll, cut it a little bigger than the side you are laying it and it will stay in place without glue.
i think the standard is 1 pound per cubic foot. so probably 2 lbs, be good. glue or a staple gun should work well.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Funny, I just went up in the closet to get a shirt and on one of the shelves I see a huge bag of white stuff and I can see half the logo "POLY...." I turned the bag around and what do you know...a whole bag of Polyfil. I asked my wife about it and she had used it to make a doll or something for my daughter. I'll put it in later tonight and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks,

DAVE

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
Funny, I just went up in the closet to get a shirt and on one of the shelves I see a huge bag of white stuff and I can see half the logo "POLY...." I turned the bag around and what do you know...a whole bag of Polyfil. I asked my wife about it and she had used it to make a doll or something for my daughter. I'll put it in later tonight and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks,

DAVE

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not sure what Poly-fil does exactly, but it sounds better. I put in about 1.5 lbs. When sitting in the front seat the low hits sounded ok before. I sat in the back seat and couldn't believe how crappy it sounded. Very loose and distorted.

After putting in the Poly-fil I can't say I hear a difference overall, but it sounds a lot tighter in the back. No longer has that distorted sound. If that's what it's supposed to do then it worked.

I still have things adjusted a little 'boomy'. I'll post my settings later and hopefully you all can point me to something a little more ideal.

Thanks for the assistance!

DAVE

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
198 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.