Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 non_gmt360 other
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start this, at the time of install, My tb only had 29000 miles.
Is it just coincidence that within 2 months after I installed a 1 1/2 inch front spacer lift with a 1 inch rear spacer, my cv boots went bad and started to fling grease at the seals? :hissy: Had to take out the lift to get new boots (warranty).
Now i'm torn. I want to put the lift back on but don't want to do all that work to have the boots go bad again. :hopeless
Anyone have this problem or is it just coincidence ? ? ?

As a side note, I just had the front seal on my front driveshaft start to leak @ 34000 mi. Had that fixed recently. :duh: Makes me miss my old jeep wrangler I traded for the TB.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
You are changing the angle for the axle and wheel to meet and the cv joint and boot does the bending. The more bending and guess what?

·
Registered
2004 non_gmt360 other
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very true.

If my tb had alot of miles on her, I would have been more weary of the boots goin bad. Didn't see that one coming. The boots are made to flex.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
OEM CV boots are notoriously stiff. I replaced mine with the Cardone spares I was carrying, even though the original ones were not bad at 50K miles. Cardone boots are a much more flexible neoprene and won't transmit as much stress when flexed to the band clamps.

·
Registered
2004 non_gmt360 other
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like flexable. When I log off i'll look up cardone. That a store or manufacturer ? Maybe I could re-install the lift, then if it leaks again, the cardone ones are goin in.
I don't want to give up on the lift. Gettin spacers too. I need to get tires soon and want to go big.
I've done some mild 4 wheelin with my old jeep. I'd like to do the same with my tb. I'd love to get out to TECORE but won't have the tires by then.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Cardone is the largest (IIRC) aftermarket supplier of things like CV axles. I bought mine at Rockauto for amazingly cheap. There are really poor remans out there. I recommend new units from Cardone. Local parts stores should carry them as well.

Lucky for us, both sides are the same part number. I've posted the numbers before. Run an advanced search on posts by me that include "cardone".

If your mission requires a lift, spacers, and better tires - go for it. Don't let a little thing like warranty stand in your way. To take out the lift just to get free boots sounds like a net loss to me. YMMV.

·
Registered
2004 non_gmt360 other
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot to mention that my bad cv boots were the inside ones.

I looked up the boots at rock auto. Good prices. Looks like they only sell spicer, doorman, and precision. The Precision boot is a neoprane replacement for the oem. That lookss like my solution if . Didn't see cardone products at

Taking the lift out for the boot replacement was a tradeoff for free labor. The cost of he boots wasn't my issue.

Now that I know I can replace them with more flexable ones, i'm lifting the ol' girl again. :thx

·
Registered
2004 non_gmt360 other
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh great, something else to look forward to doing.:rolleyes::laugh:
Did you do the lift already ? If so, how many miles ago? Only drove 4-5000 miles before they went. Gotta get under there and check em'. My problem seems to be isolated to my TB so far.

·
Registered
2004 non_gmt360 other
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Costing more to wheel is one thing. . . I can accept that. :worried:
What I can't accept is changing the cv boots every 5000 miles. . . I'd rather eat dryer lint. :x

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
572 Posts
:dielaugh: I forget. Did I promise lifting a trailvoy for offroading was ever going to be cheap or easy? :D
Naw I knew it would come with a price tag. Honestly though, the more I contemplate diving right into all this, the more I want my Silverado back.:cry:

·
Registered
2004 non_gmt360 other
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not giving up. That tb DOES NOT have me beat!!!!

I'm gonna put my lift back on, get a set of wheel spacers, 32 inch tires and rock out :cool: . . .well really trail and mud out :yes: No rock crawling for this tb:weird:

IF the cv boots go bad again, I'll switch to better aftermarket boots like Roadie suggested. :hail: What happened may be an isolated incident. I guess i'll find out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts