Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for those that have been asking how much cutting is involved with 33"s, here are some pictures. (Sorry about the quality, took with cell phone camera.) Blue tape is where I cut at. (Used a dremel with a cutting disc.) Didn't take a pictures of this, but also besides the fender liner cutting, you need to hammer in the bolt that holds the plastic rocker panel on, cut the inside corner of the plastic rocker panel off, and also cut the bottom of front bumper right behind the metal bar that keeps the corner of the bumper in place. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
After my front springs started to sag, the tires caught on the liners to the point I took 'em both out. More dust to wash out of the engine compartment after a ride, though. :worried: Much more. :cry:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After my front springs started to sag, the tires caught on the liners to the point I took 'em both out. More dust to wash out of the engine compartment after a ride, though. :worried: Much more. :cry:
hopefully i don't run into that situation. not planning on adding much weight to the front of my TB. Just oil pan skid plate, and radiator skid plate (once available). But I totally see that. The current trim that you see, only gives me 1/4"in gap between tire and plastic. which until I get it off-road, will work for now. I'm guessing more trimming to come. but i'm ok with that. ;)

·
Registered
916 Posts
Or you could drive over a particlarly steep sand dune and suck the liner right out when you come over the crest like I did. :weird: This was with 245/75/16's and no lift. I'll probably take out the left side too. The left side was partially cut when I had a steel bumper made for the TB. Don't really miss the liner. I get the underside and the engine pressure washed about twice a month anyway. More often when the job site is doing heavy-duty dust control and making a bunch of mud.

Great job on the liner mod by the way. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is that measured at rest, or with the suspension compressed. It's much worse when compressed to the bump stops and the wheels are turned.
at rest. I will rub in reverse a bit. i'll do some more trimming next week when i have some time to really measure everything out. I know when compressed i'll have a lot of problems as it sits right now. front bumper is my biggest problem right now... :duh:

·
Registered
728 Posts
looks good, save your time and just take em all out, you dont need them that badly, like bill said you just get more dust in your engine area, mine is mudded up ... o well....

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
looks good, save your time and just take em all out, you dont need them that badly, like bill said you just get more dust in your engine area, mine is mudded up ... o well....
i would... but i can get around it. this isn't the 1st vehicle i have lifted. i cut the passenger side fender liner a bit higher than the driver side to test out the limits, and its working out fine. like i said, mainly front bumper issues... so i'm gonna work on that wednesday, and see how it goes. if its ok, i'm gonna take it on some local trails and see how it fends. i have a big backpacking/camp trip over memorial day weekend, so i'll try to post something on the results before then. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
728 Posts
if worst comes to worst... just remove your bumper when you go trailing ...

·
Registered
728 Posts
so how od the tires perform in the sand, mud, or anything besides asphault??? im waiting on a report o fthe tires before i make the purchase on the duratrac's...

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
497 Posts
do you get any rubbing now? Does it contact at the top of the fender?

I had a s10 blazer with a t-bar crank and 31x10.50R15's and if I romped it offroad, I'd have to take a hammer to the top of the fender to get them back close to straight, lol :laugh:

I want to stuff a decent tire under my truck (going to install the markmc 2.5" spacers as soon as my bilstein HD's arrive... on backorder???) but I don't want to hurt the body from wheel/tire contact.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
do you get any rubbing now? Does it contact at the top of the fender?

I had a s10 blazer with a t-bar crank and 31x10.50R15's and if I romped it offroad, I'd have to take a hammer to the top of the fender to get them back close to straight, lol :laugh:

I want to stuff a decent tire under my truck (going to install the markmc 2.5" spacers as soon as my bilstein HD's arrive... on backorder???) but I don't want to hurt the body from wheel/tire contact.
if you are hitting the top of your fender by bottoming out your front suspension you are A. either wheeling carelessly, or B. not knowing the limitations of your ride with the mods that YOU have installed.
To answer your question, no I have not had my tires hit the top of the fender. There would have to be a ton of sudden force to have the entire front end compress enough to actually bend the front fenders. And even if the tires were at full lock, you shouldn't be flooring it over obstacles, this would probably end up badly, and fender damage would be the last thing on my mind. If the tires touched during articulation you should only get a rub and not a dented fender unless you have chosen to answer A, or B from up top. :m2:

·
Registered
497 Posts
if you are hitting the top of your fender by bottoming out your front suspension you are A. either wheeling carelessly, or B. not knowing the limitations of your ride with the mods that YOU have installed.
I was infinitely familiar with the limitations of the mods that I had installed. That's why I had great fun every weekend and had to use the BFG, as a result.

I personally don't care for the inch-per-minute approach of crawling. If I wanted that, I'd simply go for a hike.

I enjoy dirt trails, driving fast, getting a little air, perhaps? And the fact is that that type of "prerunning" fully compresses the suspension both quickly and often.

My Jimmy technically did not have a lift. I simply cranked the factory t-bars. On top of that, I put in oversized tires. I cut the fenders and the rear where the tire originally was hitting the cab, and I was able to stop any impact there. However, it would still rub the frame on full-lock... and it would impact the fender at the top if the suspension compressed, fully.
That is my concern with the trailblazer -- because I would like to avoid that.

To answer your question, no I have not had my tires hit the top of the fender. There would have to be a ton of sudden force to have the entire front end compress enough to actually bend the front fenders. And even if the tires were at full lock, you shouldn't be flooring it over obstacles, this would probably end up badly, and fender damage would be the last thing on my mind. If the tires touched during articulation you should only get a rub and not a dented fender unless you have chosen to answer A, or B from up top. :m2:
I am glad your fenders have not been impacted. Mine have been. Not at full-lock. I wouldn't floor it under those conditions... However, going straight, I have had it happen many, many times. Going over a hill/woop and then landing on the other side.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I enjoy dirt trails, driving fast, getting a little air, perhaps? And the fact is that that type of "prerunning" fully compresses the suspension both quickly and often.

I am glad your fenders have not been impacted. Mine have been. Not at full-lock. I wouldn't floor it under those conditions... However, going straight, I have had it happen many, many times. Going over a hill/woop and then landing on the other side.
Please don't take what I said with offense. There are many limitations with the Trailblazer that I am still finding out to this day, though I still love my TB. We don't have the aftermarket suspension set up to turn the TB's into prerunners (not to mention the weight of our vehicle is almost twice that of a taco or "other" heavily modded prerunners). If you can fab up something please post it in the off-road forum, there are more than a few of us that are interested in a beefed up suspension mod. From your bottom statement it sounds like you are also finding the limitation to your vehicle, and until you find a way to get more suspension travel and a quicker rebound (amongst many other mods), I would say you are up ****'s creek trying to "pre-run" a TB. But good luck on the search and keep us posted :thumbsup: :m2:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Please don't take what I said with offense. There are many limitations with the Trailblazer that I am still finding out to this day, though I still love my TB. We don't have the aftermarket suspension set up to turn the TB's into prerunners (not to mention the weight of our vehicle is almost twice that of a taco or "other" heavily modded prerunners). If you can fab up something please post it in the off-road forum, there are more than a few of us that are interested in a beefed up suspension mod. From your bottom statement it sounds like you are also finding the limitation to your vehicle, and until you find a way to get more suspension travel and a quicker rebound (amongst many other mods), I would say you are up ****'s creek trying to "pre-run" a TB. But good luck on the search and keep us posted :thumbsup: :m2:
I didn't take offense... but I have seen other people "talked down to" (not by you) because others disagreed with their ideas of fun. I simply wanted to mention that my opinion of a fun-time offroad -- although different than crawling -- is still a legit sport.

I do have 4x4, and I know the TB will never be a great desert prerunner... It's just that I enjoy taking logging roads at 60mph, lol.

I guess I'm going to be in uncharted territory -- so I'll be sure to photograph, document, and post my experiences. I was just doing some research to see if someone had gone there before, and if I needed to modify my plans before I dropped $900 on new shoes.

As I said, I have no problem cutting the sides.... but I can't really do that on the top, lol. Hopefully the coilover suspension of the TB is better on compression than the torsion bars of the jimmy. I have a feeling that it is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts