Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girl got a 02 Trailblazer LTZ about a month ago. It has 88,000 on it and the fan was super loud when you hit the gas. So I changed the electric clutch and it was still loud. The next day I told her to drive it anyway and it was fine. It has been perfect for the last month, then all of a sudden yesterday she got home and said the fan was loud again and the trans is shifting funny. When I looked in at the gauges they were illuminated, but not registering anything. and the windows wouldn"t work or anything. Like it lost power or something, but would still run and drive.
I checked every fuse under the hood and in the rear. All good! If you turn the ignition off for a few seconds, then turn it back on all the gauges come to life! Then if you start the truck, all the gauges function and warning lights disappear for about 30 seconds, Then all at once the gauges freak out and don't register any info, and many different warning lights come on, and the windows stop working. The fan continues to roar the whole time no matter what. Anyone have any ideas?? Is there a wire or something messed up or does the computer need to be reprogrammed?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
There are a hundred different wires that could cause these symptoms, mostly involved with the BCM, PCM, or serial communication among the modules. Sometimes in cases like this, an intermittent ignition switch ends up being the ultimate root canse, but there's no way to troubleshoot intermittents the same way as hard, permanent failures.

Good thing is that the ignition switch guts are cheap and you can find the part for $20-30 at aftermarket parts shops. Run a search and you should find threads that talk about changing it, with instructions.

Also run a search for "megafuse" and you should find threads where I posted a picture of where that is. Recommend tightening down the nuts for that, plus tightening all battery and ground cables. Depending on how old the battery is, you might want to get that tested as well. Over three years old and they're suspect.

If the Service Engine Light comes on permanently, then you can get the codes read, but I assume that's not happening because you didn't mention it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts