Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i was driving and i hit sum1 elses tire now my front right tire i hit is bent all the way back almost hittin the wheel well i can barely fit my hand between the tire and the wheel well i was wondering what i should do whats broken or what i got pictures maybe you guys have some suggestions on whats broken. it wont turn all the way one way but if i turn the other way it turns way too much it turns left but not right and the tire is a lil crooked now and if i let go of the wheel it just will make a super duper left u turn and almost flip. any suggestions would be appreciated. was just wondering what it wud be control arm or what ... my hole things bent back my passenger door wont even open now...there are 4 pictures the last picture is my left front wheel wich is fine i think i just put it up to compare to the right front wheel.

Attachments

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
A body shop should be able to tell you if it can be straightened or needs parts replaced. :m2:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was thinking it might be totald with that bent wheel all the way back like that .. if not i wanted to fix it my self. or i really dont know thats why im asking you pros.

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
767 Posts
Don't take it to a body shop. You want to take it to an alignment shop. You may have just thrown off the caster and an alignment can fix it if there are no damaged parts. But they ca also tell you if there are any bent parts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was thinking maybe i bent the axle or control arm cause the tire is so bent back its bassicaly rubbin the wheel well the last picture is the other side wich is a good wheel to compare the pictures too..

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,298 Posts
Alignment shop is a good idea. It looks like the lower control arm may be bent, but that
could just be the picture angle or lens distortion. You could have nothing damaged, just
banged out of alignment, or you could have to replace the control arms, stabilizer bar
links, tie rod end...maybe even the axle. It's really hard to tell. Would that total it? Not
unless you'd really run that truck in to the ground, which it doesn't look like you have.

All of those parts you could replace yourself, then take it to the alignment shop and
have them do the fine tune.

Then you could hit the body shop... ;)

Good Luck!

Chris

·
Registered
826 Posts
Its hard to tell from the pics ,jack it up and go from one side to the other and keep looking at every part over and over till you see the difference, and the lower control arm bolts at the frame, it may have just move there,probably not ,,but dont stick a screwdriver in between the door and fender to get the door open ,theres a bolt at the bottom of the fender at the back,loosen it and pull the bottom of the fender forward some then tighten it.

Plus the steering rack may need to be checked too. that was a hard hit on the arm. Just to be safe, don't get worried . It just depends on how it was hit.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
691 Posts
Definitely get to alignment shop,
Best case:
It needs an alignment at a minimum, possibly the lower control arm mount has moved (it is slotted and clamped by 3 bolts and allows for adjustment of Caster and Camber)

Worst case:
Something(s) is/are bent/broken and must be replaced, then an alignment.

Then you can fiddle with the fender as Lint says.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,433 Posts
Totaled? I doubt it. At worst, you need a couple new suspension components, and the fender fixed/replaced. Maybe a wheel too, depends on whether that is just rubber smeared on it or actually damaged at all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Totaled? I doubt it. At worst, you need a couple new suspension components, and the fender fixed/replaced. Maybe a wheel too, depends on whether that is just rubber smeared on it or actually damaged at all.
i hit a for expedition's tire that was turned all the way out he was parked half way in the street with his tire turned all the way in the street so my front right end hit his Tire goin out 20 mph he had no cosmetical damage but i drove by to look and seen that his tire is pushed back into the wheel well just like mine .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if the axel or control arm or something is bent how do i fix it can u bend it back ? how

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
u guys think i shud just got thru my insurance or just replace the parts myself my insurance deductable would be 500 $ do u guys think this is fixable ? its badder then it looks ..to keep the car straight i gotta hold the wheel sideways and if i let go of the wheel it will spin left and turn as hard as it can.... any reason why it would do that ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:grouphug:[ QUOTE=blazetek517;1051068]u guys think i shud just got thru my insurance or just replace the parts myself my insurance deductable would be 500 $ do u guys think this is fixable ? its badder then it looks ..to keep the car straight i gotta hold the wheel sideways and if i let go of the wheel it will spin left and turn as hard as it can.... any reason why it would do that ?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
209 Posts
As others suggested take a look at the parts on both sides and compare - Is anything obviously bent or broken on the damaged side.
If things look ok, then try the alignment shop. An alignment alone should be fairly inexpensive if that's all that's needed or they should refer you to a body shop if parts need to be replaced.
If there's parts to be replaced price them and search the site to see if it's something you have the ability to do yourself. There are step by step instructions to swap out many parts.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
222 Posts
Alignment Shop vs. Body Shop

Your vehicle is pulling because of the caster difference. Caster controls the ability of the tire to go straight on it's own. Right now, you have one side set up with the rake of a motorcycle (well not really as much) and the other with the caster of a shopping cart. The motorcycle side wants to keep going straight while the shopping cart side is controlled by friction and rolling resistance. It's also very likely your toe (the direction the tire is pointed compared to the other side) is off, too. Don't continue to drive like this, as it will kill your tires and if anything is bent to the point of breaking you will find out all too soon.

An alignment shop can replace any or all of the suspension components that might be bent. You will need a body shop if the mounting areas of those components are bent, for use of their frame machine. Frame machines are usually charged by the hour, and not cheap, but it beats running out looking for a new vehicle. Either way, I doubt your vehicle is a total unless it's a salvage.

·
Banned
2006 chevy
1,659 Posts
i hit a for expedition's tire that was turned all the way out he was parked half way in the street with his tire turned all the way in the street so my front right end hit his Tire goin out 20 mph he had no cosmetical damage but i drove by to look and seen that his tire is pushed back into the wheel well just like mine .
I could be wrong, but it sounds to me that you did a hit and run and now your asking how to fix it or a public forum. Did you stop and give the Expedition owner your info?

·
Registered
826 Posts
I would like to tell you how we would do it,by hooking a chain to a tree and around the lower control arm and getting a 3 ft running start and jerk it back.in place....But lots of reasons not to on this.

1, You can rip the brackets of the frame

2 You can rip the bumper off , I have seen this several times .:laugh:

3 Some of these parts are cast ,and some cast parts do not like to bent to many times .

WE have a tie down in the floor now to pull on frames :woot:

I don't know how much knowledge you have ,to give advice without getting you in deeper on pulling bent parts.

Look at the 3 bolts that hold the lower control arm on ''as said earlier'' if it has moved there, loosen them some and try to pull the wheel forward, that may get it forward enough to steer easier to get to an alignment shop.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts