Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know the extent of the damage, but all the oil leaked out of this crack. (due to accident)

Will that require a new tranny? Or will the shop try to refab it?. (Insurance should cover it :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
They'd have to get a new housing to refab it, which would mean moving everything undamaged from the existing housing to the new one.....you can't weld cast aluminum, doesn't work well and usually just makes the hole bigger when you try. - Most likely cheaper to install a new unit.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its kinda an addition to this post:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=49392

Front end collision with the bridge cement barrier, hit on the left(passenger) side of the bumper. Causing my frame to shift to the left, which ineffect cracked the tranny, and offset my radiator frame (core) support.

I've replaced alot of Humvee Transmissions, and I've helped do an S10 Tranny...
I'm thinking about doing this in my garage, I could use that labor money from the insurance check...IF they give me money for it and will give the check to me lol....

Anything particular I should watch out for on the TBs??

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
My only comment (besides saying that the trans should be replaced FOR SURE), is that if you hit something hard enough to shift the frame rail and the radiator support, I think you need to have the vehicle taken to a body/frame shop and have it measured on a computer frame machine.

If it's shifted, the new trans might not bolt back in anyway.

My :m2:

·
Registered
2007 isuzu ascender
403 Posts
wow, that does not look like a hit, hard enough,to do frame damage and tranny damage.how fast did you hit?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My only comment (besides saying that the trans should be replaced FOR SURE), is that if you hit something hard enough to shift the frame rail and the radiator support, I think you need to have the vehicle taken to a body/frame shop and have it measured on a computer frame machine.
Ditto, I've got a shop lined up to pull the frame and straighten out my radiator support before I do anything.

wow, that does not look like a hit, hard enough,to do frame damage and tranny damage.how fast did you hit?
Thats what I thought :bonk: Prolly 30-35 MPH

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
78 Posts
Wow, that brings back memories of the transmission I cracked in my 2001 Silverado! (4L60E)

I had installed a 'Corvette servo' (1-2 shift apply servo with greater surface area) for those who are not familiar with one. As I was completing the assembly, I went to install the snap ring inside the bore, which holds it all together.

All seemed well, and I went for a test drive. I didn't even get a mile down the road. The upshift to second never occurred and my RPM's told me something was definitely wrong. I stopped and looked under the truck. The snap ring had not been well seated and the entire assembly launched out of the bore, but was caught by the heat shield.

I limped back home and found that about 30 degrees or so of the snap ring groove had broken away (the area between the two windows of the bore). I put it back together aligning the gap in the snap ring with the 'new and improved' gap I now had in my transmission.

It lasted that way for a little over a year. One night I was driving home on a busy road and noticed everyone was far behind me. Then I noticed the smoke trail. It would have made Uncle Buck proud. I stopped and got out and immediately noticed a trail of fluid dripping from the road leading right up to my truck.

I crawled under the truck with a flashlight and noticed an arc-shaped tear in the case OUTSIDE of the circumference of the servo bore and fluid steadily dripping out of it. It had been dripping down and hitting the exhaust, which is where the smoke was coming from. Needless to say, that was hasta la vista to that transmission case, but I did save the internals because I stopped fast enough to prevent damage. Also, I left it up to the 'professionals' this time. I'm sure I probably got the 'IF YOU TRIED TO DO IT FIRST AND COULDN'T' price, but at least it got fixed and was someone else's headache.

I guess the first accident weakened the case and the harder shifting over time finally started a tear. Just make sure if you use one of these, that you are SURE the snap ring is fully seated. I have nothing bad to say about these servos, in fact, my current transmission in the same truck has one (professionally installed, of course). It was my fault for not checking the ring better to start with. My transmission guy told me he builds all of his rebuilt trannys with a Corvette servo installed.

I installed a shift kit in my first car, an 455 powered Trans Am with a 400 transmission and have been a big fan of increased transmission performance ever since.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
476 Posts
.... hit on the left(passenger) side of the bumper. Causing my frame to shift .......

Anything particular I should watch out for on the TBs??
:eek:fftopic: Unless you have one of the Trailvoys that was originally sold in England, Bermuda, or Australia or the rare "letter carrier postal special" the driver sits on the LEFT and the passenger side of the vehicle is the RIGHT side.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts