Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i decided to finally try and clean my TB. I have an 05 Envoy SLT. The bolts on the TB were extremely tight so while i was trying to take the first one off i put a little too much pressure on it and it cracked a little bit near the screw hole.I still wasnt able to take it off because i think i need some wd-40 i dont wanna break it anymore. any suggestions or comments with taking the bolts off and the cracked tb? thanks. one more thing... when the car is off what position should the TB be in. is it closed or a little bit open?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Not sure why removing the screw would crack anything, but I recommend PB Blaster rather than WD40. PBB is meant for the purpose, while WD40 is a do-everything-sort-of-OK kind of product.

The blade should be slightly open when powered off, but never push on it while the ignition is on, or you could burn out the stepper motor. Idle RPM is controlled a bit by airflow through the throttle body, but primarily by fuel injector duty cycle (pulse width).

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
Not sure why removing the screw would crack anything.....
I agree.....no reason to crack anything when loosening a bolt. Are you sure you were LOOSENING the bolt (counter-clockwise)????

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
93 Posts
I agree.....no reason to crack anything when loosening a bolt. Are you sure you were LOOSENING the bolt (counter-clockwise)????
I had the same thought: this sounds like the results of righty-tighty, not lefty-loosey!

That aside - if the crack is cosmetic and doesn't actually impact the inner portion, you should be fine. Use your chosen lubricant and you should be able to work it off.

You'll notice when you finally do have it off the car, the default position is just very slightly open. You can push it pretty much horizontal or pretty much vertical, but it'll snap back to a slight angle. It's definitely worth it to get the whole thing removed to clean it - my throttlebody cleaner said to just spray it while on the car, but that would have left 80% of the build-up still in there. I spent about 20 minutes with a few lint-free clothes and a toothbrush and got into every nook and cranny. HUGE improvement!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts