Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for comments and thoughts around the Cowl hood vs the Ram air hood? I like the looks of the Cowl hood but was wonder about the performance. Also looking for links to purchase the hood...

Thanks,

CV

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
My experience with these styled hoods in other vehicles indicates to me that performance is probably a wash with either one, so select for style.

About the cowl induction principle:

The base of the windshield is a high pressure air area, so the air gets in as good there as from a front-facing scoop.

On my off-road Explorer, I used a small eBay plastic hood scoop facing backward and pointing to the cowl area, and even with that had noticable change in air flow and throttle responsiveness, even though I was still pushing the air through the factory air box with a True Flow filter.

On my earlier Chevelles, the cowl induction was a worthy addition, and after 7 different cars with various engine setups, I found the cowl hood worth the cost to install for performance sake.

Of course, we know that front-facing scoops work well also. That is a natural expectation from anything facing into the wind.

I sort of like this hood myself... (Vendor price seems high, no recommendation of the vendor!)
http://www.cincyramairhoods.com/chevrolethood/06trailblazerhood.html

Here is another

http://aftermarket-hood.com/Shop_On-Line.htm

4.2/6 cylinder engine Ram-air upgrade, Only Fits Goodhoods Non-Returnable

This dyno-proven functional ram air upgrade adds 6 HP and 14 foot pounds of torque or more when used with this Keystone functional ram-air hood. It can also be used with any stock or aftermarket hood but without ram-air effect. Easily installed in place of factory air cleaner box. Only Fits Goodhoods Non-Returnable. Stock #GH-GBXTR

·
Registered
2006 chevy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW Very Nice - Where can I get one...

Does it have air intake? How does it link up with air box? Can you send me the link where I can get one?

Thanks

CV:):)

·
Registered
chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
49 Posts
Does it have air intake? How does it link up with air box? Can you send me the link where I can get one?

Thanks

CV:):)
It's a heat extracting cowl, which means that it allows the hot air to excape from under the hood. This will allow cooler air to be drawn into the intake. God bless! Scott

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cowl Hood!

Hey man I love the Cowl I want to get one for my truck but I have not been able to find one. I was just wondering where did you get yours??

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
24 Posts
I'm primarily looking for a hood scoop or cowl induction type hood to help lower under hood temp and possibly help me run cooler when towing. Any advice on this?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts