Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting started redoing my whole audio system in my 03 tb, and I would like some recommendations on what to get after get all the other things installed.....

TB doesn't have onstar or bose

I went with a
Kenwood KDC-HD942U Head unit
Infinity Reference 6020cs components for the front
Infinity Reference 6022si for the rear

do I have a good starting point, and/or what would yall recommend for a sub/amp?

also what would be the best place to mount the tweeters?

What/where would be good place to get a sub box?
is a custom box more involved that a stealth box or something similar?

thanks for your time!!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
fine start.

we have a thread on the first page about budget comps.

the best place for tweats are in the factory bose location, up by the front window.

good place to buy a box, would be amazon or ebay or craigslist. just depends on you sub.

as for amp and sub, whats your budget ? you want it to sound good or just be loud? good starting point is the alpine type R, with maybe a hifonics 1000ish watt amp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really don't have a budget, just want a clean install and to sound really well

was thinking about a custom sub box for a cleaner look but don't know how good that would be?

thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
61 Posts
I'm in the middle of my upgrade project as well, I installed a kenwood DNX-7120 nav system, clarion 2ch amp under my front passanger seat which power a set of polk audio DB 6.5 components up front ( I unstalled the tweeters almost directly beside the power switches on the flat part of the door.) then I installed 6.5 polk DB coaxiol speakers in the rear doors ( think I need an amp for them now) lol. As of today I'm working on a custom fiberglass enclosure that will be mostly hidden behind the right rear quarter panel with an alpine type R 10". I will post picture when I'm finished the enclosure. Just let me know if you'd like pictures of where I placed things.

Good luck on your project and be patient these projects take time if you want them to look stock. :tiphat

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
i figured you were, with reference speakers and no amp.

if you wanna spend some money i can point you in the right direction :undecided

is it ok to put 3-ways in front and in back doors?
im not huge on anything more than a two-way, and even them, ....

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
i need a budget or im just gonna list a bunch of expensive stuff ....

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
Hertz HSK's $250-500 (unauthorized vs. authorized)
Sundown 100.4 $250 - 400
Pioneer 980 $ 400 (plus more for usb and xm/sirius)

subs in the air, how about:
RE SX $300
Sundown 1000 $350

honestly too many variables. thats just what i would do.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
103 Posts
Hertz HSK's $250-500 (unauthorized vs. authorized)
Sundown 100.4 $250 - 400
Pioneer 980 $ 400 (plus more for usb and xm/sirius)

subs in the air, how about:
RE SX $300
Sundown 1000 $350

honestly too many variables. thats just what i would do.
These arent bad recomendations at all, but im more of an Alpine/JL guy myself. I have the IVA-W505 headunit and absolutely love it. For amps id go with the new HD JL amps as they are compact and have great power. For components id suggest C5's or Zr's if you really have no budget. For a sub id get a W6 or W7 if you really want to go all out (whatever size you want).

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
103 Posts
I get all mine from my friend who owns his own shop here. I hate to say it, but almost everything i recomended can be purchased from Crutchfield as well. :( I hate companies selling out to them, but i guess they do what they gotta do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Honestly i get all my stuff from Crutchfield...... plus they are only about an hour and a half away.......

alot of people dont like Crutchfield? is that what your saying?

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
103 Posts
Honestly i get all my stuff from Crutchfield...... plus they are only about an hour and a half away.......

alot of people dont like Crutchfield? is that what your saying?
Yeah, pretty much. Ive never had an issue with them though. Im not saying they are bad, but you always pay list price for something with them. Some local owned shops will give you pretty good discounts if you buy an entire system from them, or cut you some slack on labor at least. I just have always liked to support a local business when i can rather than buy everything online or what not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I hear you on supporting local shops, but you have to find a good local shop first, plus I can do all my own stuff just have to research on what works best with what. I really can't see paying someone I dont trust working on my truck if I can do the same thing myself.......

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
154 Posts
well if your not to worry about money and u want to best then a clarion head unit , along with jl componets, jl w7 and 500/1 jl amp and a 300/4 for ur highs and mids. that will get you the best quailty sound and little tweeking and a good sub box u can hit the brown note :)

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
im just not a JL fan boy. people who run JL, think they are the best and nothing else is better, IMHO. alpine is fine, i used it for my first setup, unless you need more than 1000 watts. pdx's are nice, but they are fairly expensive, and i hear that they have a lot of static. though i still wouldnt mind running a 4.150

crutchfield is great customer support, but they are the most expensive place to buy stuff.

i shop around for all my stuff, i also buy used to save money. my subs were 350 new, i got mine for 135 and 250.

for sundown i buy from db-r.com, he fixes all their amps and a few other brands. he sells refurbs, but they come with 1 year warrenties, just as good as any best buy brand. they are known for being some of the best "underground" amps (peroid). i have his 4 channel and i if i needed a mono i would buy one in a second.

and i went with the pioneer 980 (or the 800/880) because of the 16 band eq. if you go with a double din you wont have those features. just depends on what you want. DVD and NAV vs. audio features. you can get the audio features, but it will cost more.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts