Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt_xl
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working in my garage and glanced over at the Envoy. To my surprise, there was a gaping hole in the side front bumper where the cornering light used to be!
I crawled underneath, and there it was, lens and all, dangling from the electrical leads. It looks as if one side snapped (broke) out of whatever holds these in place.
Two questions:
Has this ever happened to any one of you? It seems like a pretty random thing to happen without some "help" (a well-directed sneaker or fist), and I'm curious as to how frequent an occurance this is.

Also, what is the easiest way for me to reattach the lens? I can see the opening when I crawl underneath the Envoy, but I can barely get my hand and lens up into that space, let alone see where the lens was originally attached. Is my best bet to remove the headlight assembly and attack it from that angle?

I have removed the entire lens assembly for now- I dont' want it to bump around and get smashed while driving around tomorrow- but driving around with a hole in the side of the bumper isn't doing anything for me!:eek:

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
The headlight assembly is easy to remove. Take it out and see if you have room to reinstall the cornering light from there. My '03 Service Manual has nothing about removing the bumper.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
207 Posts
That sucks I wish I could help but my TB doesn't have those fancy lights. You might want to give the owners manual a look. It might say in there or it could just say "take to dealer" like the headlights:duh: Good luck:thumbsup:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Or with a few screws and a lot of snap pins, you remove the entire bumper cover and work on it from behind. You might discover a broken mount you can fix with epoxy or hot glue while you're back there.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt_xl
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback everyone. When I get home tonight, I'll pop the headlight off and see what I can see.

I've never attempted to adhere plastic to plastic before- if it is indeed broken, is Epoxy the best way to go?

·
Registered
2006 gmc
1,518 Posts
the same thing happened to my girl's Envoy when she had it. It looked like the previous owner "brushed" something(garage, parked car) on that side since the bumper had scuff marks on it. ANyways-one day her light was no longer to be seen-crawled underneath and saw the plastic tabs snapped that held the light in place. Bought some epoxy especially made for adhering plastic-and with alot of patience-put the cornering light back in where it belonged. I had to hold the light for a few minutes for the epoxy to start to "catch" and then I let it sit overnight and it was fine. It never fell out again. Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts