Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cooling fan in my '03 Envoy SLE has apparently crapped the bed. The dealership wants over $600 to replace it. Is this something an amateur should attempt?

The vehicle never actually overheats, but the fan is noisy as hell. My AC isn't working worth a darn.

Any advice?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
40 Posts
Fan Clutch

I hadda replace the fan clutch AND water pump on my 04 Envoy with the I-6....IMO This is definately a BAD DESIGN:mad: on the part of GM. This clutch is electronically controlled:no:...it has a sensor in the middle of the clutch and is a BIT#@:suicide: to get off without messing up your radiator. You will need two sets of hands to get it off to be safe. I had less than 70K on mine when the SES light came on indicating a problem. When I got the Clutch off I checked the TINY water pump on this thing....it was shot as well:mad:. I replaced it too. The local Dealor (GMC and Chevy) wanted over $800.00 for the job.:hissy: I bought the clutch off of e-bay from a parts house in Florida and the WP at a local parts house. All in all I spent about $175.00. The parts house loaned me a water pump wrench to aid in the WP removal. I had it done in less than 2 hrs. I m not an expert mechanic but can hold my own with the verage shadetree.
My GRIPE is this...GM has been putting electric fans and other type of fan clutches on all of the other engines. NOW WHY...WHY do they put this worthless piece of JUNK on what is supposed to have been one of their top of the line vehicles??? It is just like the LT-1 Corvette engine that used the "Pancake" distributor from 1992 through 1996....let a drop of water get on the thing and bam...$600.00 job (then). The last 'Vette I owned was a '92. I put about 125K miles on it and had to replace the distributor 4 times. I did it each time myself and cost me from $450.00 for the first one and $200.00 for the last one in 2005. GM SHOULD have been liable for the fan clutch and water pump on these I-6 engines as they KNOW it is a weak design. I have seen several inter company memo's bout this from the engineering dept to dealor shops and the memo's indicate there is a design problem. But GM will not admit it to the general public.
As for your problem it sounds like the fan clutch and/or water pump from what you've said here.
Good Luck with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.