Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A year ago I replaced the cooling fan clutch and fan as well as the radiator in my 2002 Trailblazer. I've recently started having the same problems with the vehicle as I had a year ago.

The problems are: when idling at a stop light, in traffic, etc, car begins to run hot and the oil pressure gauge on my dash drops. When I start to move oil pressure returns to normal (runs a little higher if speeds are faster) and my temperature gauge returns to normal. Since this is exactly what happend a year ago I'm wondering if it is the cooling fan clutch again? Is it possible for it to fail again so quickly? I had a never-before-used-by-me mechanic quickly look at it and he said the fan clutch has failed because it never stops spinning...but if this were true shouldn't it be cooling the car off at idle if it never stops spinning? Also, the mechanic told me I'm leaking coolant. He said he could not determine from where until he did a pressure test, etc. What is a pressure test and what is a reasonable price to pay for this?

As for the oil, it is not low and was changed about two months ago. Also, the oil pressure only drops after i've been driving awhile and come to a stop...so maybe after 15 mins of freeway driving.

Finally, I was also told that the reason I only have a/c through my floor vent is because i need a new mode actuator...Could this be playing a part at all in the car heating up at idle?

The mechanic shop that replaced the cooling fan clutch and radiator a year ago said if these are both faulty again they will replace it all again at their cost. However, they are located almost two hours away from me now. I don't want to drive all the way there until I'm certain that it is the same problems again. Otherwise i'm taking a day off work and spending the money to travel there just to spend more money once I get there.

Any suggestions are appreciated - thanks!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
29 Posts
My first concern would be the coolant leak. If its not holding pressure then its not keeping the engine cool enough.
Have it pressure checked . If this were in my shop I would charge 20-30 bucks to check it. If you went a head and give me the ok to repair the leak depending on how big the job was I might be inclined to wave the check out fee. If it turned out to be a simple external leak.

Also keep in mind if your cooling system is not keeping the engine cool enough then your engine oil is gonna over heat as well and get thinner and carry less oil pressure.

If I were you I would not take it back to the place you described , the place you never used before. Just because it never stops spinning is no reason to condem the fan clutch just yet. In fact I agree with you with it running hot I would want my fan spinning as much as possible,lol.

Your a/c being stuck on the floor vents has nothing to do with it running hot. In fact if your cooling system is not working right then your a/c will not blow cold like its suppose to.

How hot is it running ? and how low is the oil pressure getting ?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
11 Posts
Interesting. I am having a similar issue. In my case, though, it started after the water pump went bad. While I was in there I decided to overhaul the entire cooling system. New AC Delco pump (the expensive one on RockAuto), Stant thermostat, AC Delco radiator cap, Imperial "heavy duty" fan clutch from Advance Auto, hoses. My temp ran a solid 210 before all of this and rarely got to 212 as seen from my Torque app on the droid. Now I heat up to 217 at times at a stop light. If I rev the engine to 1500 to 2000 in neutral while at a stop the temp goes back down. The fan seems to be pushing plenty of air at idle when it is hot so I am really thinking it may be a water flow issue possibly due to a more restrictive t-stat. I had overheating issues in the past with other cars after changing the stat and a high flow stat fixed it. It is also possible that I have a slight coolant leak after all of the work I did so that would make more sense in your case. I can't see an overheat issue related to the clutch fan if it is engaged and moving air.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At Kartracer,

My temperature gauge normally sits right in the middle, when it runs hot it pushes to the mid-point between where it usually sits and to the max point on the dial.

For oil pressure, the gauge usually sits at 40, but drops to about 20, so the halfway point between bottom and where it usually sits.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
15 Posts
had the oil problem and I replaced the oil sending unit. several posts on youtube and here about that.

I had full oil so all indications were a bad sending unit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts