Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4.2L
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon. Quick question. Could I install a factory coolant temp sensor into the upper radiator hose with an adapter to send the temp to the computer and cluster?

My coolant temp sensor is bad and causes the gauge to fluctuate and the mpg to suffer. I've addressed this in a previous post. I've purchased a new GM original AC Delco sensor to replace the old one and finally have some time to do all the projects and maintenance. It's a pain to get to but doable for my skill set.

I've pasted a picture of the adapter I speak of below. I feel like this would give as good a reading as the factory located one with minimal interference or coolant temperature info loss. The thermostat will still open at temp regardless. Cooling fans aren't an issue in the equation.

The upper hose coming out of the block would be where I would tap into the system and I assume this would give the best reading, outside of the factory location. I'd have to extend the wires to reach, but that's small potatoes for me to accomplish.

has anyone done this before in lieu of replacing at the factory location? I've used adapters like this in the past to install aftermarket temp sensor gauges and got this thinking about doing this to replace my sensor.

any advice, critiques, criticism and guidance are all welcomed. Thank you.

Product Camera lens Camera Flash photography Camera accessory

·
Premium Member
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4.2L
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bit the bullet and replaced the sensor in it's stock location. Couldn't find an adapter with the correct thread pitch and didn't want to try tapping one. No more bouncy gauge.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts