Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '03 ext and noticed it running hot the other day --made it home ok but really freaked me out to see the needle go up that high!

I went to add some coolant to the resevoir and notice that it was all landing on the ground under the vehicle and just splashing on the driveway -- not sure if it was All but a significant amount was just leaking away as I poured it in... Cant see exactly where but Im guessing its the lower radiator hose??? Cant see / access it like I was able to on smaller cars I had years and years ago so Im not exactly sure of how the system is laid out for cooling on the TBs -- plus just a general lack of any real knowledge of cooling systems beyond anything you could consider very basic...

I have been getting by for the past few days just topping the radiator in the AM -- and if it runs a little hot later in the day (happened a couple of times so far) I pull over and carefully open radiator and pour more in...

Question: so when the engine is hot (actively driving around) and I have topped off the radiator that fluid stays circulating in the engin and the fan blowing through radiator cools and recycles that fluid through the engine, correct?

Then when I park and the engine cools some, (not sure how long it would take, exactly) but Imassuming the fluid then should go back into the resevoir ... and as engine heats up again during next drive, that resevoir fluid comes back down into the engine. Is all that correct or do I have it wrong?

I guess mine isnt making it into the resevoir and is just landing on the ground. Hoping I can make it til friday afternoon so I can take it in to get repaired but hope dont get screwed on the diagnosis / costs so just trying to get some ideas / tips / pointers here so I can have a little knowledge before I go in to the shop!

Thanks all.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well, my TB's time is done....

Just got a call from the shop... Sad day in our house:cry:, the verdict is that its 98% certainty that it a blown head gasket and with the age, amount I've put into it over the years and the age, I think I'll just put 'er down and look back with fond memories on my TB days. It was a great vehicle. Its younger brother, my wifes 04 LS is still kicking strong though and I'll get that when the new vehicle I get goes to the wife.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle_xl
10 Posts
Just curious on some things. I have an 02 Envoy and it sounds identical to what you described in your original post. What tests did it fail in shop to indicate gaskets and how many miles did you have on it? I can't understand why the coolant is pouring on the ground as I'm sure you didn't get it either. They've pulled my over flow tank and it was perfectly fine. Tried to tell me I was just over filling it. I know better. I told them to keep car and look at something else. It's holding pressure with them and not leaking at all since they put the tank back in. I'm not satisfied with that though. It has 134K miles on it and it's been well taken care of. I'm second owner and I've had it since 2008.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts