Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I bought an 03 trailblazer and now my thermostat is about two marks below 210 even warmed up. I decided that in the morning I am going to change the thermostat with oem one. But since I will lose half the coolant I am going to flush it out and refill with some new coolant. So I dont have to buy too much does anyone know the capacity of the coolant system on the v-6 model? I do not have an owners manual so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
1,061 Posts
what i would do instead of exact amounts is refill the radiator(top it off) after you replace the stat, drive it and warm it up and recheck level. also make sure there is some in the reserve tank too

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the quick replies!!! Helped out a bunch without the owners book. I am going to flush things several times and not reuse the dexcool. After reading BITOG I am going to go back with a G-05 coolant. Dont want to stir up a hornets nest but if I cant find that I am going to go back with the toyota pink stuff.

·
Premium Member
2006 gmc envoy_denali
861 Posts
Not having a manual is an easy fix. Just go to the top right hand corner of any thread and pull down "Resources". Look for "OEM Manuals" and voila you now have a copy of your manual.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
The TB engine does very well with the Dexcool. I would rethink the switch.
:iagree: Don't run something made for a different engine in there. The Dexcool is good antifreeze.....stay with it. :yes:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
:iagree: Don't run something made for a different engine in there. The Dexcool is good antifreeze.....stay with it. :yes:
:iagree: I just changed my thermostat and flushed the old coolant. The engine and radiator looked like new - after 4 1/2 years and about 52,000 miles. I know all the bad stuff being said about Dexcool, but remember most of that is about cars with V6 engines. I believe the problem to be more with the gaskets than the coolant.
Also there is a problem with Dexcool if the level gets too low. If you don't run it low for a year I really don't see a problem. We've had no reports of problems here on this forum.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...ber=1438186&Board=35&fpart=all&gonew=1#UNREAD

http://www.lawcash.com/attorney/2574/general-motors-lawsuit.asp

But as was said - it's your vehicle. If it makes you sleep better at night go with the G=05. It is available at most Napa stores for a decent price. I've used it in my late model Ford products.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
And never mix with the regular anti-freeze.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again guys got the new t-stat put in. I am running distilled water to flush out the old stuff. Does anyone know a good way to get all the old out of the resevoir tank?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
Thanks again guys got the new t-stat put in. I am running distilled water to flush out the old stuff. Does anyone know a good way to get all the old out of the resevoir tank?
Other than removing the tank? :D Personally I got lazy with mine and disconnected the overflow hose where it goes into the radiator and put the garden hose in the top of the reservoir and turned it on full of blast. It will eventually fill the tank and then come out the hose.
Make sure the hose is not running onto a painted surface. I aimed mine at a drain pain just in front of the truck.
Once the old stuff starts coming out the hose, shut the water off and the whole tank will empty.

·
Registered
2003 chevy
97 Posts
What does SWB and EXT stand for?
I'm having a blonde moment

I have a 2002 Envoy SLE that i'd changing the coolant on (not flushing) and i'm trying to figure out how much coolant to buy
Short Wheel Base model- SWB
EXT- TB with 3rd row seating

·
Registered
1 Posts
how do you know which one you have??
What do you mean how do you know which one you have between swb and EXT so you know how much coolant to put in? The swb meaning short wheel base only has one back seat and it's a shorter version of the Trailblazer. If you have an EXT then yours takes more coolant and you have three rows of seating and a long wheel base. So if you have three row seating then you take more coolant Dan the shorter wheelbase version that only has 2 row seating. If you have short wheelbase 2 row seating you take 10.8 quarts of coolant. If you have the extended version EXT with 3 row seating you have 13.8 quarts of coolant.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts