Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Trailblazer LS 4x4, 4.2L:, 2016 ATS-V, 2014 CTS-V Wagon, 2018 Audi A7
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 LS TB 4.2L with nothing special option-wise. The HVAC control that is operated on the back side of the console has an on/off switch. Is there any way to keep it 'always' on? Normal operation has it shut off with the key, but it doesn't come on upon restart. Is there any way to keep it on so I don't have to manually turn it on every time I start my truck?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Do you have the front switch near the driver to override the rear controls?
That's what I do.

Turn the knob to either "1, 2, or 3" and raise the driver's master heat setting up to HOT.
YOU then have control of the rear HVAC
  • "1, 2, 3" is blower speed for the rear HVAC system.
  • In "R" Position, the rear controls works everything wherever they are set in the back.
  • In "0" position, the rear HVAC is OFF and they have no control at all.
I think I got that right........

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to check that and play with it to see if that works for me. I'm out of town and will be back tomorrow. Thanks, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not have any particular or special switches on my HVAC system up front. There is nothing that controls the rear HVAC. Turning the heat up to "11" along with the fan speed does nothing to the rear. I still have to reach behind and press in the switch on the back side. Unless I can somehow override that switch I had better get used to the ol' "reach around" technique.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I do not have any particular or special switches on my HVAC system up front. There is nothing that controls the rear HVAC. Turning the heat up to "11" along with the fan speed does nothing to the rear. I still have to reach behind and press in the switch on the back side. Unless I can somehow override that switch I had better get used to the ol' "reach around" technique.
Well..... I confess that I don't know your system.

For the record, I didn't think I had an upscale rear control.... but I may have to change my opinion.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Attached is a picture of the rear climate control on the backside of the center front console. I do believe the only way to turn this on and keep it on is to press the PWR Button each and every time I start up the car.

FROM THE OWNERS MANUAL:
Rear Climate Control System

Your TrailBlazer has one of the following rear climate
control systems. With either system, the rear climate
controls will be disabled when the front climate control
system is in defrost. This occurs to provide maximum
airflow to clear the windshield.
The temperature of the air coming through the rear
outlets is determined by the front passenger’s
temperature setting. Press the PWR button to turn the
rear climate controls on and off. Use the mode knob
to change the direction of airflow (upper, bi-level or floor)
to the rear seat area.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
53 Posts
You can bypass that swich to a switch up front. Must be a way to jave it always on but dont think you would want that as it would always reduce your heat output up front. why do u need the rear heat on everyday? Just curious.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Living in Florida I'm more interested in a/c every day. I haul my dog around in the back end, plus this will provide a more even heating/cooling.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Uhm... yeah.... I don't know nuttin' about that unit. Mine has no buttons, just knobs.

EDIT: I got money on GM thinking that if there's someone in the back seats... they'll push the button to use the rear system.

If not - the default makes it stays off and the HVAC power loss is cut somewhat.

Remember that these vehicle manufacturers are seeking every drop of fuel mileage savings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finding a solution to HVAC problems is never easy. It gets even harder when it comes to cars, and it gets even harder because there's not too much room to operate.
My brother went to HVAC school, and he has a lot of work now. People constantly call him to help him solve their problems, and he hates it when it's a car-related problem. There were times when he couldn't even solve the problem because those HVAC systems got too complicated.
Still, he's working a lot and has a good salary, which is a great thing. Going to HVAC school is not a bad idea when you think about it. You can visit this page and get all the info about HVAC schools.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
MY last response was over a year ago - I bet this guy 1) died from frustration in not making the system work to his expectations and is still in the back seat, dehydrated from Florida heat or 2) gave up and bought a Ford.

Sure death, either way.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MY last response was over a year ago - I bet this guy 1) died from frustration in not making the system work to his expectations and is still in the back seat, dehydrated from Florida heat or 2) gave up and bought a Ford.

Sure death, either way.
LOL, no solution. I didn't give it my all, but it really wasn't that important to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts