Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Computer upgrade Windows 7 etc

7K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  ScarabEpic22 
#1 ·
Going down for a bit. Will be busy with various maintenance, cleaning and computer upgrades so I may be a bit busy this weekend. I hope Win7 has all the drivers I need .... Then the installation of all my programs and stuff afterward:duh: I may have to log on with my laptop while this is all happening because, um ..... my wife, yes that's it, my wife likes me to stay updated on the site happenings :D

#2 ·
I feel for ya, brother!

Oh, no wait a minute ...

... I don't. I have a Mac.:):):)

I run both ways of course. (Computers, I mean ... Get your head out of the gutter ...) But I also love my Mac and only tolerate Windows.

When I needed a new Windows laptop for a piece of software, I did a LOT of shopping around. Most internet forums I visited advised me to get my new laptop home, immediately erase the entire hard drive, reinstall Windows, and get rid of all the 'free trials' and trial anti-virus programs that come on these things. (I honestly think Norton anti-virus makers WRITE viruses just to keep themselves in business. Many people report their computers slow to a CRAWL with this on them.)

When I bought my Trailblazer, I ran into a similar situation. To get it to run properly, at a tiny percentage of what the manufacturer had wanted the performance to be, I had to take my brand-new truck home, strip out the engine, rebuild it and put it back in ...

... NOT!

I just shake my head at why anyone would want all the hassle of Windows. I finally came to my senses, bought another Mac laptop and simply installed Windows in Bootcamp.

This is why, ironically enough, that Macs run Windows better than Windows runs Windows.

Hehehe.
:):):)

#4 ·
...... I have a Mac.:):):) But I also love my Mac and only tolerate Windows.
I just shake my head at why anyone would want all the hassle of Windows. I finally came to my senses, bought another Mac laptop and simply installed Windows in Bootcamp.

This is why, ironically enough, that Macs run Windows better than Windows runs Windows.

Hehehe.
:):):)
:iagree:100%. Once you go Mac, you never go back. I never could figure out why you had to go to Start, to shut down......what software genius at Microsoft thought of THAT??? :weird:

Still have my 2002 eMac 800mhz that runs as well as my kids IBM at 2.1 mhz WITH LESS MEMORY! :thumbsup:

#3 ·
Hey Bill the only advice I could give you, would be to make sure that all of your hardware has driver support for Win7. Go to the manufacture web sites and check.

I was going to do a Win7 upgrade over the holidays, but I decided against it when I found out that my TV tuner card has no Win7 driver support. I watch a lot of TV through my computer, so the justification for the upgrade wasn't worth it.

Just my :m2:

#9 ·
Well it is running great so far. 1.75 tb of HD space and 8 gig of ram on this Xeon Quad core. 5 large fans with cool blue LEDs and a massive heat pipe to keep it cool. EVGA 9800 GTX video card works well still and we are back to some serious gaming :D

#12 ·
I like to Dual boot so I will run a partition with Linux. I like Linux but the gaming aspect is best suited to a Windows environment.

I have had this old dog for a over a year but the Win7 is the big change for me. Something got corrupted in the Vista 64 bit I was running and it slowed down after an update :duh::bonk::hissy: So many problems with Vista :crazy:

I had 180 gb of pictures to transfer and now that I'm shooting in RAW the files are just over 15 mb per pic. (Anyone use Adobe Light Room? I am loving it!)

So I had to make the change and add a Tera bite of storage at the same time :D

#13 ·
Bills seen my laptop a few times now, its a year old and I got a steal of a deal on it. Just a Core 2 Duo 2ghz, 4gb ram, 320gb hdd, nvidia 9600gt 512mb (not shabby for a laptop), blu-ray player. Have an external 20" monitor and 1.5tb external hdd for backup/storage. For a while I had it triple booting Vista/W7/Ubuntu, deleted Ubuntu because I filled my 500gb external hdd, now that I have the 1.5tb Ill reinstall Ubuntu and maybe look into another flavor or 2 of Linux. Plus I have about 5 types of Linux/old versions of Windows running as Virtual Machines.

Not a powerhouse but runs all my programs (not much of a PC gamer anymore) very well, had Vista Home Prem as base OS but Ive been running W7 Ult x64 for over a year now (yes, you read that right). Need to get a copy of of RTM OS, beta and RC have been awesome so far.

People who bash Windows and love their Macs, good for you. What you dont realize is Microsoft has to write their OS to run on thousands of different hardware combintions while Apple has to do a fraction (maybe 100 for laptop/desktop and all the processor/video card combinations that matter). Big difference when you start to think about it.

I hate buying a PC, much prefer building them so I can start with just the OS and install the drivers I need. No bloatware, crappy big business anti-viruses (Norton and McAfee both suck), etc. Use AVG Free Anti-Virus, Ad-Aware, PeerBlock, and the only program Ive bought for system maintenance is TuneUp Utilities. Great program, been using it since mid-08.

To remove the preinstalled crap on your Windows system, use PC Decrapifier to remove it all easily. Easiest thing to do is run it as soon as you boot your new PC.

Hopefully this summer Ill be able to afford a desktop again, not sure if Ill go AMD or Intel, ATI or nVidia...

For anyone thinking of getting Windows 7, do it. I actually liked Vista a lot, I beat the crap out of that OS on my old laptop for over a year going in and modifying registry keys, playing with different settings in policies, etc and it only bsod'ed on me maybe 3 times (all were due to me fu<king something up in the registry and I ran System Restore, voila). But W7 is a lot more productive for me, love Aero Snap, Aero Peek, and the new taskbar plus Mobility settings. Ive used Vista maybe a combined total of 2 months in the total time Ive had my current laptop (bought 12/28/08) as I installed W7 beta the first week of 09 and then the RC when it came out. As for stability its maybe a little better, but it uses about 600mb less ram out of the box than Vista and opens applications a little quicker than Vista.

#14 ·
I've used a program called "Advanced System Care" to tune up my PCs running XP and Win7. It's free but they also sell it for a few extra features for a reasonable price. It worked to fix up my XP PC quite nicely whch was running slowly.
I'm not thrilled with Win 7 - It doesn't run some older Windows software which is a PITA and I was used to where things were in XP and now I have to find them again. I went out and bought an older laptop with XP just to have it to run some programming software for a lighting system which isn't going to be upgraded to run on Win 7. Progress I guess.

#16 ·
I've heard that Win7 Pro has that mode but wasn't sure if all XP software would run on it. Thanks for the confirmation that your wife's software would. What a sneaky way to make people upgrade to Pro!
I bought the new laptop with Win 7 Home something or other and now I find out I have to make Microsoft even richer with an upgrade to the Pro version. Wouldn't backward compatibility be something that should be included. Also they deleted Outlook Express those barstewards.
GD Microsoft!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.