Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading many of the forums here on TrailVoy over the past few months, I consider myself very lucky. I've got a 2004 Envoy XUV, 6-cyl I bought new, that just turned 102,000 miles and the only things I've had to do to it is replace tires, brakes, air filter, wiper blades and battery. I did decide to replace the alternator, starter, water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt and both oxygen sensors with new when it turned 100k, just to avoid the inevitable breakdown while on a long trip or in the middle of the night. Even though it runs and drives as tight as day one, I'm now prepared to do a major suspension and brake overhaul as a preventive measure and to refresh my truck for the next 100K.

I plan to replace the rack, inner/outer tie rods, upper and lower control arms, ball joints, drive axles, front hubs, front struts, front and rear sway bar links, and I'm converting the rear airbags to coil springs and Bilsteins. While I'm tearing it all apart, I'm going to replace the master cylinder, all 4 calipers and the hydraulic hoses. I figure the $1,000 or so that I'll spend on parts would be eaten up by the emergency repairs to just two or three of these items, and at 102K they've served me well and are likely all on borrowed time as it is.

What I'd like to hear back from the members is their candid review of, experience with, or recommendations as to what brand of replacement parts I should consider for the job (or any other recommendations for that matter). I've restored T-Birds, Lincolns, Eldorados and GTO's over the past 35 years and have always bought Moog, McQuay-Norris, TRW or NAPA suspension parts without negative incident. I now see a lot of product obviously made in the far east (China, primarily) that seems to sell at significantly less cost, and, from what I read and hear, appears to stand up to most 'average' use. I don't beat my truck, using it primarily as on-road, highway-type transportation, although I do put on the miles at an average of 20K/year. I see components by Deeza and Autopart International in particular that look to be pretty well made, with 40,000 mile warranties and a price that makes you do a double-take. Again, I don't take the XUV off-road, and I won't be hauling a Bayliner or horse trailer behind it, so I'm only looking to keep it riding and handling as comfortably as it has these past 5 years since new.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :thx

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,292 Posts
Welcome, and Odd.. I used to Restore Lincolns,Eldo's, Tbird's... & my Own GTO (among others)...... Personally.. If it ain't Broke why fix it... IMO your talking quite a LOT OF MONEY to be throwing out the window. if you have to spend it maybe freshen the trans instead....Fluids, splined disconnect, airbags good start...again Welcome

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
9 Posts
Wow I am impressed. That is a serious maintainence progaram. No wonder you don't run into problems while driving.

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
5,895 Posts
the only thing i was not crazy about were the moog swaybar endlinks. replaced with TRWs i like their design better. no zerks but the boot is clamped so it doesn't allow dirt in

used moog ball joints, no complaints there.

all that will probably cost you more than a couple grand though

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
698 Posts
Wow, this thread has been around a while.

I've had pretty good luck with the brands that are listed. Occasional bad part from most of them.

I also must question the preventative maintenance schedule. Why? If you do 20k/year then you must not take many long distance trips from the house, so just get AAA for $69/year. You'll have the cost of your tow covered to get it home where you can fix it yourself. $1000 spent on parts you don't need now will not prevent a $1000 "emergency" fix later. Honestly, does anyone really think that the rack, if tight and not leaking, is going to leave them stranded? WTF? There is another 40-50k before you have to worry about most of that list showing wear. My opinion, don't just replace the things on this list. INSPECT the things on this list to see if they need to be replaced.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all!

Well, I appreciate all the comments I received. I completed my overhaul in mid-October, and MAN, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Since I was the driver of the XUV for, likely, 95% of the miles on the odometer, I never really noticed the subtle decline in front-end tightness. With everything replaced, it runs and feels incredibly tight - better than when brand new! The only parts I did not replace were the rack and inner tie rods, and the axel bearings. I bought them, but they will stay in the box until the rack exhibits looseness or I hear/feel the bearings exhibiting wear. I did take Roadie's suggestion and I replaced the rear air suspension system with shocks - the best advice ever! She rides nice and high in the back and I never have to worry about the air system failing or intermittently allowing the rear to sag. I've loaded it with VERY heavy cargo and it operates better - yes better! - than as originally intended with the air suspension system. I unscrewed the lines at the compressor and screwed plugs in the holes. I pulled the compressor fuse and will only use it if I need to use the compressor to pump up a bike tire......

I did not, however, replace the front Bilstein's with different and supposedly stiffer shocks as several of you recommended - I bought a pair of NOS Bilstein's already mounted inside NOS springs. The car rides great and I am still thrilled with the handling.

For those who want to know, the upper and lower control arms were Dorman's, the Ball Joints were Deeza Premiums, the front and rear stabilizer links were Deeza, the outside tie rods were Mevotech, the front and rear calipers were remanufactured Raybestos, loaded, with phenolic pistons and ceramic pads, all brake hoses were Wagners, the master cylinder was a new Cardone, and all 4 rotors, drilled and slotted, were from BrakeMotive (ebay). The brakes work BETTER THAN NEW! The ceramic pads and the BrakeMotive rotors make stopping a breeze, even when she's loaded to the max with cargo. And I've experienced NO drag/fade when the brakes get hot in stop and go driving.

For slightly over $1,500 and about 16 hours of time, I have a nearly-new and totally dependable vehicle that would cost close to $45,000 to replace with new, IF it were still available for purchase. Say what you will, but piece of mind on long hauls, on rainy/snowy nights, or when my wife or kid borrows the truck, is worth much more to me than getting an extra 20,000 miles from a $35 part - and can you ever guess which $35 part will fail next? I didn't think so!!!

Happy New Year to all fellow TrailVoy'ers out there!!!!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Very interesting thread....do you want to do mine as well.....and fix the stupid helicopter sound thats coming from I don't know where or at least pin point me on where to look at....j/k....glad to hear everything went well!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts