Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My comfort control recently stopped working. I was driving up my drive way when I started to hear a loud buzzing/humming sound and the air ceased to come out of the vents. I was told is was an expensive fix. Any input?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
Your BLOWER quit working? Or do you have air coming out of the incorrect vents?

Buzzing could be as simple as a mouse took up residence in your blower housing. It could be an electrical issue, most of them are under $100 repairs.

If you could describe better what you hear, and under what conditions, we'll do what we can to talk you through it.

Do you have the digital or manual temperature control? Does the blower work at ANY of the speeds?

Are you experienced at troubleshooting and repairing electrical systems?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The blower doesn't work at any speeds and I have a digital one.

Now it sounds more like a grinding sound and I get no air what-so-ever.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,513 Posts
The motor (blower motor) has to come out.

Pull the motor and inspect. Could be a bad motor, could be a mouse/squirrel nest in the vent.

The motor is behind the glove box.

If the motor is fine, the digital speed controller is to blame.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was a mouse...
I was cleaning it out and found one chopped up mouse and two live babies. I'm not parking my TB in that garage anymore...

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha, yes you did.

They took the napkins out of my glove box and built a nice little nest.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
344 Posts
Makes you wonder how many times the little bugger came all the way up through the duct to stare at you with its little beady eyes through the vent while you were driving. Doesn't that creep anyone else out but me? :confused:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Makes you wonder how many times the little bugger came all the way up through the duct to stare at you with its little beady eyes through the vent while you were driving. Doesn't that creep anyone else out but me? :confused:
O yea creepy. ATTN EVERYONE: WHENEVER YOU SHUT YOUR TB OFF TURN OFF THE CLIMATE CONTROL SYSTEM. :eek:fftopic: Yea about 4 months ago a mouse chewed up my O2 sensor wiring harness (the one that goes right to the engine). one morning go to start it up. Starts kind of funny, sound like wants to die, give it a little pressure on the gas petal, and then i notice check engine light came on, im like Oh Great!!, But Wait! I have my scan guage II hooked up. checked what code it had to say it came up with a code (dont remember what it was). but checked it out and it said O2 harness wiring and im like O.K. so i pop the hood locate the O2 sensor, follow the wiring and say uh huh! and i found that a mouse chewed threw a couple of the wires. I grabbed my sodering gun and shrink tube and fix it right up. I asked my local GM dealer how much it would cost to have that replaced. He said that every wire in the engine would have to be replaced. Im like WHAT? anyways i show him what I did and he said that that was the BEST thing. Trailblazer works without any problems. Best Vehicle Ever :D :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
What specifically is this going to do to keep the critters out? The actuators don't seal anything up (AFAIK) if the control module is set to OFF. :confused:
Well this is what several dealers have told me and several of my friends. If you leave your air controls on and you turn your car off that the air ducts stay "open" and also it takes more fuel and is not very good on the air parts. Some can argue on this. This is what i have been told. :m2: & i agree with it.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,513 Posts
Well this is what several dealers have told me and several of my friends. If you leave your air controls on and you turn your car off that the air ducts stay "open" and also it takes more fuel and is not very good on the air parts. Some can argue on this. This is what i have been told. :m2: & i agree with it.
A case of a dealer not knowing what they are talking about, or, a case of a dealer telling a customer what the customer wants to hear :m2:.

"Some can argue on this", yep, ya found one.

Your truck may be different than mine, but I can not turn off my HVAC air or temp.

I can change both, but I can not turn any of it off.

Think about it, you must pick vent, floor, or dash (or a combo of any two).

Now, saving gas. The only way to save gas is to turn off the air conditioning compressor. This will reduce the load on the engine.
And, this is probably what the dealer was talking about. Turn off the air conditioning when you turn off the truck.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My automated HVAC has an off button. It stops all air for situations where people want the windows open or something like that.

A case of a dealer not knowing what they are talking about, or, a case of a dealer telling a customer what the customer wants to hear :m2:.

"Some can argue on this", yep, ya found one.

Your truck may be different than mine, but I can not turn off my HVAC air or temp.

I can change both, but I can not turn any of it off.

Think about it, you must pick vent, floor, or dash (or a combo of any two).

Now, saving gas. The only way to save gas is to turn off the air conditioning compressor. This will reduce the load on the engine.
And, this is probably what the dealer was talking about. Turn off the air conditioning when you turn off the truck.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,513 Posts
My automated HVAC has an off button. It stops all air for situations where people want the windows open or something like that.
This is what i was trying to say. :thx
Well, anyone who knows me, knows I would consider those statements a challenge :thumbsup:

so, I went to your owners manual.

The auto HVAC units have a mode switch with an OFF position.

But,,,,,,,,, this is how it reads.

OFF:​

Press this button to turn the system off. Some
fresh air will continue to flow through the vehicle from
the floor outlets. The system will try to maintain the
previously chosen temperature setting

You may have turned off the HVAC computer, but the "power off" default is to let outside air flow into the vehicle through the floor vents.

I stand by my previous statement. YOU CAN NOT TURN OFF THE AIR FLOW.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
Well this is what several dealers have told me and several of my friends.
Fascinating. A new myth to keep an eye out for. As Ray says, maybe turning off the AC compressor can save wear and tear if it's off when you start the engine, but our PCM already does this automatically. If you go WOT it also dumps the AC offline to give full power.

The off button stops the blower and cuts off the compressor, but the shop manual is silent on the question of whether it sends the mode actuator to a "park" position. I think it just leaves it where it was, but you have me curious.

The manual does say that with the blower off, outside air pressure will push air through the system and it will come out the windshield and floor vents. Recirculate mode will force the AC compressor to come on, to make sure you never get the totally unsafe "fogged windows from the inside" syndrome. So I don't see any combination of actuator positions to keep mice out of the blower.

If they sneak into the closed glove box from behind to steal napkins, they're very resourceful (and suicidal).

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If they sneak into the closed glove box from behind to steal napkins, they're very resourceful (and suicidal).
They were rather resourceful and I never said that it would close, I was just giving my input on if there was a button or not. I never actually read what it does, I just knew it turned off the blower.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.