Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
changed the plugs on my 03 trialblazer with the 4.2 and broke the bolt on a coil pack. is there a way to replace the bolt or do i have to buy a new coil pack? the bottom inch of the bolt broke off and the rest is still in the sleeve of the coil pack but it won't slide out.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
be thankful it didn't break off inside the head. then you would've been screwed.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
You said that the bottom inch of the bolt broke off, is it still in the head?:(

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
333 Posts
Buy left turning drill bits. I've had very good luck with them. Center punch the broken bolt, the left turning drill bits will turn it right out.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
137 Posts
It's listed as a separate GM part:

11519038 BOLT-HFH,M6X1X30,24 THD,13.2 OD,10.9,GMW3359, W/ADHESIVE ON THREADS
Buy left turning drill bits. I've had very good luck with them. Center punch the broken bolt, the left turning drill bits will turn it right out.
Seems unlikely that they'll "turn right out" if the bolt has adhesive gluing the threads in place.

When I pulled the exhaust manifold off of my Six-Popper the first time, the bolts had some kind of chemical thread locker on them; they turned out "hard" until they fell out of the head. Two of them turned hard about three turns out, then broke. Even with the manifold off, I had to weld nuts to them to get the remainder out--and they turned "hard" the whole way.

New bolts went in with anti-seize instead of thread locker. Also used stronger bolts.

Sure, it's worth trying the left-hand drill bits. And if it works...great. Otherwise I bet you're going to have to drill all the way through using the proper-sized tap drill, and hope you don't screw up the female threads too badly. After that, it's drill oversize and spin in a Heli-coil or other thread insert.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts