Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post and I'm not sure if it should be in this forum or another.

Anyway,

I just had a scan performed and it showed the following codes:

P2119
P2101
P1516

Not sure what any of these mean other then I think there related to the throttle body.

Will cleaning the throttle body solve the problem? Or, is there some other remedy? The service engine light popped on once and was off the next day when I drove it. No other lights are on and the service engine light hasn't come back on since the first time (several days). Performance seems degraded especially when going up hills and it's stubborn when initiating passing gear.

Any steps to eliminate this problem would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2005 gmc
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mileage 68,000. Everything is stock.

TB has never been cleaned to my knowledge.

Correction: the title of my post indicated code P2102 and the message indicated P2101 -- P2101 is the correct code not P2102.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Its possible that those codes could result form a severely dirty or gummed up throttle assembly. Basically those codes indicate that the throttle position varies from the requested or commanded position by more than the allowable tolerance. Cleaning would certainly be the least expensive solution, if it works.

Other causes of those three codes together can be: Corroded, Worn, or damaged wiring/connectors to either the pedal or the throttle assembly itself, a faulty throttle body actuator or sensor or a faulty pedal sensor. If cleaning doesn't prevent the codes from returning, you're going to have to diagnose the both the pedal and throttle sensors and actuator. Somewhere there's the specifications, you connect a high-impedance VOM to the pedal and check the voltage at various openings. (You can also use a Tech-2, which makes things a bit easier).

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_slt
340 Posts
Welcome aboard new guy

No solution for your problem just say Welcome to the forum.:tiphat

·
Registered
2005 gmc
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ylab.

I'm going to try cleaning the TB tomorrow when it's warmer outside. I hope that clears the codes because I'm not exactly sure how to go about performing the tests you mentioned and I don't have a Tech-2.

I'll respond after the cleaning.

·
Registered
2005 gmc
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cleaned the TB over the weekend. It didn't seem very dirty, but it certainly made a noticable difference in idle and overall responsiveness.

The codes were cleared after leaving the battery disconnected for around 30 minutes while I cleaned the TB. I made a few short trips afterwards and the codes did not reappear. I'll check for codes again later this week after more routine driving.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
6 Posts
p2101 and p1516 error codes

i see from reading the threads that the codes are tied into the throttle body and it may need cleaning but i don't know how to clean it or exactly where it is? does antone have pictures that can help???

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
6 Posts
Thanks

I just wanted say thanks to Keg for the link. looks to be not as hard as i thought it would be or as long, again thanks.:thx

·
Registered
1 Posts
a reasonable question

is there any chance my trailblazer wouldnt start because of a dirty throttle body? Advanced Auto Parts read p2101(Thottle Actuator Control) on the hook-up and the next day the car failed to start. ? any ideas?:worried:

·
Registered
2005 gmc
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update

It's been over 6 months since cleaning the throttle body -- no new codes -- no pending codes -- no codes whatsoever.

I should probably plan to clean the throttle body soon!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts