Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about everytime i take a turn i hear a clunking noise.. im not sure if it is coming from the front end or the back. but when it does it it almost feels as if i got hit and it jolts sideways. the 4WD seems to be working fine and the CV axles and tie rods seems fine. any other ideas would be appreciated. it is an 02 with around 72000 miles. only mods are sound system and thrush exhaust.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Just one clunk? Be suspicious of the anti-sway bar end links, the mounting brackets and possibly the rubber bushings. Less likely are ball joint problems at that mileage, but it could also be a failed shock. Shocks are easy to test. Run a search if you're going to do the work yourself, or just take it to a competent and honest suspension shop.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,113 Posts
Had this same issue. My spyder gears were fried within my rear diff...

Do you tow alot?
Burnout?
Neutral drop?
Tried pulling something obnoxiously large/heavy?
Come to a complete stop before throwing it into park/reverse/drive?

Your transmission acts as teeth, one fits inside the other. When your gears get stripped, these teeth are filed down, causing them to slip and bang and clunk because they cannot enguage within rotation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had this same issue. My spyder gears were fried within my rear diff...

Do you tow alot?
Burnout?
Neutral drop?
Tried pulling something obnoxiously large/heavy?
Come to a complete stop before throwing it into park/reverse/drive?

Your transmission acts as teeth, one fits inside the other. When your gears get stripped, these teeth are filed down, causing them to slip and bang and clunk because they cannot enguage within rotation.

I do burnout quite a bit. how much was it to replace your gears? .. it only does it at low speeds and it seems to do it more when taking left turns

Just one clunk? Be suspicious of the anti-sway bar end links, the mounting brackets and possibly the rubber bushings. Less likely are ball joint problems at that mileage, but it could also be a failed shock. Shocks are easy to test. Run a search if you're going to do the work yourself, or just take it to a competent and honest suspension shop.
That anti sway bar links are the only thing i havent checked yet. i hope thats all it is.. and not gears.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok.. so i found out that if i put it in 2wd it doesnt make the noise. its something with the 4WD.. its coming from the driverside front. it feels like the 4WD is engaging around turns and dragging the rear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check your 4wd shift pod or shift fork housing for the front axle, my neighbor had an issue where the internal bearings were starting to seize. A stupid design by GM, there is no fluid to lubricate the internals, it's just packed with grease. After awhile the grease drys up and the bearings start to wear rapidly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check your 4wd shift pod or shift fork housing for the front axle, my neighbor had an issue where the internal bearings were starting to seize. A stupid design by GM, there is no fluid to lubricate the internals, it's just packed with grease. After awhile the grease drys up and the bearings start to wear rapidly.
Where is it located?... im kind of a nooby... but i cant afford to take it to a mechanic.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
It's assembly #56 in this drawing - on the passenger side of the oil pan where the CV shaft plugs in.

Been discussed in many other threads you can find with a search on "splined disconnect".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well.. found out what it was.. apparently it was my spyder gears... blew a hole right through the rear end.lost all the fluid.. gonna have it towed and hope it doesnt cost me a **** ton.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Your rear diff? Thought you had a noise in front? No matter. There's the cost of the burnouts.

I replaced my entire rear axle from a junkyard in 4 hours (2 people) and $430. Cheaper than a repair - depends on your local mechanics and where you're getting it towed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i thought it was coming from the front.. probably because i have it in A4WD all the time.. i guess i always hear that kicking in. a piece of gear shot right through the casing so i guess im going to have to get a new one. what are some things i should look for when buying a used rear?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Make sure you match the gear ratio you already have. The G80 option is good if you don't already have it, you would like it. Search using www.car-parts.com for junkyards sorted by distance.

Hints: you can use the axle from an XL version. And the junkyards all call the G80 a "limited slip" even though strictly speaking it's not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Make sure you match the gear ratio you already have. The G80 option is good if you don't already have it, you would like it. Search using www.car-parts.com for junkyards sorted by distance.

Hints: you can use the axle from an XL version. And the junkyards all call the G80 a "limited slip" even though strictly speaking it's not.
I found the regular 3.42 GU6 rear differential with 63,000 on it for $350. waiting on the guy thats replacing it. dont know how much its gonna cost. hopefully not that much.. im broke as it is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts