Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my troublesome issue! 03' Envoy, when i kick on the a/c this is what i hear, i shot a small clip so you can actually hear the sound it's making. I heard fan clutch, but if you look at the clip, you can see what i think is a pulley making the noise? Im sure you guys know better than me! Heres some pics as well. 4.2 slt envoy F.I.Y. direct link to video
http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h71/psn8586/?action=view&current=011-1.flv

008-1.jpg

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
sounds like a bad a/c clutch and or bearing. It seems like its seized and stalling out yer engine

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
I did not listen to the clip. But.............. if you have a noise that changes as the engine rpm changes and goes away when the a/c is turned on, you have a bad bearing in the ac compressor.
The bearing can be changed, or the compressor can be changed.

There is a thread, on here, where one member changed the bearing, try the search button

EDIT
I see 2 guys answered while I was typing, so I should have listen to the clip (but my speakers are off line and I need to re-boot to get 'em back on).

Sorry, I'll go with the guys before me, if the engine is loading when the ac is turned on, and the noise is a slipping belt (slipping because the pulley won't turn), you need a new compressor. And a new belt, the old one will be burnt.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
183 Posts
My compressor idle clutch bearing went and it "whined" while idling but went away when the compressor kicked on. Yours sounds like the compressor has seized. If you take off the belt, try turning the compressor by hand to see if you feel any problem, binding etc. If you are in a pinch, you can bypass the AC compressor with a shorter belt. That's how I'm runnning mine now till I have time to switch compressors or change the bearing out. Haven't decided yet. If you want, PM me and I'll check the belt length I'm running, pretty sure it 69-70".

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do any of you guys recommend buying one of these 100-200$ rang compressors from ebay? has 1 yr warranty..

also, my coolant recovery is empty, but i have coolant in the radiator..

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
I did not listen to the clip. But.............. if you have a noise that changes as the engine rpm changes and goes away when the a/c is turned on, you have a bad bearing in the ac compressor.
The bearing can be changed, or the compressor can be changed.

There is a thread, on here, where one member changed the bearing, try the search button

EDIT
I see 2 guys answered while I was typing, so I should have listen to the clip (but my speakers are off line and I need to re-boot to get 'em back on).

Sorry, I'll go with the guys before me, if the engine is loading when the ac is turned on, and the noise is a slipping belt (slipping because the pulley won't turn), you need a new compressor. And a new belt, the old one will be burnt.
#1) You'll be able to hear it when your speakers work. He told someone to turn the engine off. When the engine is turned off, it makes a clattering noise and you can see the A/C compressor spin while every thing else is stopped. The noise is definitely coming from the compressor. #2) Fill the water res. and make sure there are no leaks. If you have to replace the water pump or fan, you might as well do it when you do the A/C compressor.:m2:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
so, do you recommend a compressor for my truck off ebay? just looking at some, some remanf., some new, but incredibly cheap! I do wish I had the cash for a new 350.00 one but money is TIGHT! Also, am I going to have to buy a new receiver drier? Or should i get a salvaged one?:thx

or could i go another route and buy a new bearing, and see if that changes anything, the air still blows cold, not like new, but cold. Im just really puzzled on getting a new compressor, or bearing, then the roar from my fan clutch. Im losing so much power from my truck.., plus i need new tires

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
OK, when you turn on the AC does it kill the engine or just make noise? You said that it is still blowing cold, true? If it is blowing cold and making noise it just might be the compressor bearing, not the clutch bearing but the compressor bearing. If it kills the engine then the compressor is frozen up and you need a new compressor. (also spring for a dryer and have all the lines purged for broken parts)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so is this what you recommend i do? the engine doesnt shut off, like you said, itll spin and blow air. does it when runnign about every 5 minutes, then when i shut off. I couldnt find just the compressor bearing, i found the a/c comp. clutch bearing on rockauto

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
so is this what you recommend i do? the engine doesnt shut off, like you said, itll spin and blow air. does it when runnign about every 5 minutes, then when i shut off. I couldnt find just the compressor bearing, i found the a/c comp. clutch bearing on rockauto
Tough call. Are you saying that the compressor turns on every 5 minutes and then you get cold air, and then turns off and the air gets warm? How long is it off? That is a symptom of low 134A. (the 5 minutes part is not common, more like 5-10 seconds) Compressor bearings can be gotten at an AC supplier, but if you never have replaced one I would not advise it. It uses a ceramic seal that is broken very easily. Also, once you open the system you must run a high vacuum to remove all the moisture from the system. You should also replace the drier at this time. If you get a compressor from a yard, or new, you also need to evacuate the system and replace the drier. Another point is that a bad AC clutch also will squeel and grab once in a while, but usually will just squeel and you do not get cold air. Have you put gauges on the system to see what the pressures are on the low side and the high side when running?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just to be in the clear, this is what happens, i turn on the truck, i dont have the ac on. now i decide i want to turn the a/c on, i get a grunting noise...ac works still, 2-3 mins later, another grunting noise, all this while the a/c is still on. still blow air..cold. turn truck off, loud grunting noise. ONLY DOES IT WHEN TURN A/C ON.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The clutch bearing is only used when the AC is OFF. This allows the pully to spin and not spin the compressor shaft.

When the AC is ON the clutch is locked and the pully and compressor shaft spin together.

If you are getting a noise with the AC on then it COULD be a slipping clutch (doubt it) or the compressor is going bad, just not real bad as of yet.

When you turn off the vehicle and the AC was on you COULD touch the outside of the clutch and if the clutch was slipping you would feel a VERY hot clutch plate. (the flat thing on the end of the compressor just in front of the pully)

If the compressor is coming apart and you do not replace it when it finally does come apart there will be parts in the refrigerant lines. Harder to clean up. You will need to replace the evaparator/accumulator as well.

Cycling on and off can be a sign of low 134A levels, or a plugged expansion valve.

Have you been to an AC shop and asked them? NOT the dealer but a regular AC shop or a mech. that you trust.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
damn.. thats an interesting noise...
it does appear to be associated with that spinning part at the bottom..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's the problem, I don't what I should replace, bearing, clutch or whole compressor. I already know I need a fan cluth due to other roar noise from up front

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
damn.. thats an interesting noise...
it does appear to be associated with that spinning part at the bottom..
The spinning part is the clutch and shaft of the compressor. When the AC is not engaged the part in the picture just sits there quietly, not spinning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same problem

I have the exact same problem on my 2005 TB. After using the handy search feature:duh: I realize we have the exact same problem. Thanks for the video. What did you do to get it fixed?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts