2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coolant Flush Machine

removes rust /scale deposits
water mixed with some acid :eek:

Is this dangerous step?
they mix water with acid or with dot3 oil ( brakes oil ) :weird:
Are there any potential damage to internal parts and sensors ?

and .. What amount of water used for mixing the coolant after unloading?
What is the amount of Dexcool ? but alone or mix with water ?

Thank you in advance for the help

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,834 Posts
No body is going to touch my truck with that thing, period.
Flush with DISTILLED water (no t-stat) once, or twice and then use a 50-50 mix with DISTILLED water.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why?
Is there a good reason?
Is the risk of acid? Or is this a dangerous machine?
Pay the high water pressure within the water pipes and the engine
Is there damage to the thermostat?
t-stat difficult to remove ...:weird:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,269 Posts
if youre cooling system has remained sealed- no leaks etc...
You will find that when its time to replace the dexcool-- the inside of your engine will look like new......

in the image below---
the thermostat has been removed-
that is the inside of my engine at 111,000.

no need for acid machine. no rust whatsoever in there.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
86 Posts
just a little tab bit of info that dex cool stuff is known for eating headgaskets. it aparently turns acidicy (cant spell sorry) after a while and also aparently you can even get a voltage reading off of the coolant. just what ive been told by mechanics.

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,421 Posts
just a little tab bit of info that dex cool stuff is known for eating headgaskets. it aparently turns acidicy (cant spell sorry) after a while and also aparently you can even get a voltage reading off of the coolant. just what ive been told by mechanics.
That sure does not seem to be the case with these engines and what the members report here. As long as you test the coolant and do not go over the recommended change interval it appears to work great.

I think failures are often related to leaky systems that have had water added to dilute the Dexcool.:m2:

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,383 Posts
That sure does not seem to be the case with these engines and what the members report here. As long as you test the coolant and do not go over the recommended change interval it appears to work great.

I think failures are often related to leaky systems that have had water added to dilute the Dexcool.:m2:
I have only seen one thread on this forum about a bad head gasket on these engines. Not a common problem at all if you ask me. I use the 50/50 pre mixed dexcool just to be safe.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,671 Posts
if youre cooling system has remained sealed- no leaks etc...
You will find that when its time to replace the dexcool-- the inside of your engine will look like new......

in the image below---
the thermostat has been removed-
that is the inside of my engine at 111,000.

no need for acid machine. no rust whatsoever in there.
:iagree: with Rbarrios and Blazernut. There is a LOT of Dexcool hatred and misinformation out there. Most of the problems occurred in GM vehicles with the V6 engines, and were mostly LIM (lower intake manifold) problems, and I would venture to say many problems were caused by neglect.
There are a lot of vehicles that have gone many hundreds of thousands of miles on it with no problems whatsoever.

The inside of my engine looked liked Rbarrios. No sludge, rust or anything. My Dexcool was almost 5 years old and had roughly 52,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,364 Posts
the pontiac mantana is a good example of head issues with the v-6 glad we pawned ours off a long time ago but not with out having to replace both heads and then a intake manifold just a bad design have a freind thats a chevy service tech manager and he doesnt have any issues with dex cool just design flaws that come with the amazing cookie cutter way of manufacturing the parts that the eagle eye Q/A people miss:x

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.