Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a ADM intake and tune which came with a K&N air filter and just cleaned it with a K&N recharge kit. Wow, she runs sooo much cleaner, smoother and better especially when I get on it plus 1.5-2.0 mpg better so far after 20 miles of driving.
I can't believe I procrastinated doing this for so long! That thing was dirty!

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
1.5-2mpg isn't something anywhere near statistically relevant after 20 miles of driving... There are SOOO many factors that can change that... One of which being that it's probably running a bit lean with the new clean (K&N filters dirty up and choke up the flow much sooner tha OEM filters do), and the short term fuel trim is just getting dialed in, and the long term fuel trim isn't even close to getting dialed in... Give it time (and miles)...

Mike

·
Registered
2006 chevy
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I realize this. I was just stating happiness with it.
So your saying that the mpg's will go which way after more miles driven?

·
3,700 Posts
I realize this. I was just stating happiness with it.
So your saying that the mpg's will go which way after more miles driven?
You might pick up a little bit from the smooth intake tube, but the K&N and the stock filter have about the same restriction at throttle/flow levels where you would be counting miles per gallon (i.e. almost no flow restriction at "loafing around" flow levels)...

Either way, unless it's a 20 mile loop with no traffic, at the same temperature, same humidity, same engine temperature, same amount of weight, same acceleration and stopping distances, and same speeds; 1.5mpg in that timeframe is not anywhere near statistically signifigant... Especially the first 20 miles after you put on an aftermarket part, while the computer is still adjusting for said part.

Mike

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
158 Posts
I was searching for any post relative to cleaning out a K&N filter, more or less looking for tips/DON'Ts, and I see nothing but replies relating to statistical significance.

I love it!

Glad to hear that the K&N filter cleaning made a big difference though. It sounds worthy.

About how many miles do you guys allow your filter to dirty up before cleaning? I'm at about 20k and thinking it's about time. With the onslaught of the winter months, it's starting to pick up so much crap in it.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I waited waaay too long to clean it. Around 20-25k I think. It was really dirty and unfortunatly my milage did return to around 14.8 mpg. I hate when know it all's are actually right :hail:

·
3,700 Posts
I waited waaay too long to clean it. Around 20-25k I think. It was really dirty and unfortunatly my milage did return to around 14.8 mpg. I hate when know it all's are actually right :hail:
I'm not a know it all... I just don't answer anything unless I either know, or have a very good idea of the answer...

Mike

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
definitely makes a big difference when you clean the filter....throttle response is much better ....also would recommend cleaning the throttle body as well....I have notice that it gets much dirtier than the stock setup.....

·
Premium Member
2006 gmc envoy_denali
861 Posts
I was searching for any post relative to cleaning out a K&N filter, more or less looking for tips/DON'Ts, and I see nothing but replies relating to statistical significance.

I love it!

Glad to hear that the K&N filter cleaning made a big difference though. It sounds worthy.

About how many miles do you guys allow your filter to dirty up before cleaning? I'm at about 20k and thinking it's about time. With the onslaught of the winter months, it's starting to pick up so much crap in it.
I have been running K&N's for several years now. I clean them once a year in the spring (ready for summer driving). Keep in mind we have 4-5 months of winter here and have snow on the ground. I believe this keeps the dust down.

I use the K&N recharge kit and the only things you have to be careful with is DON'T blow them out with an air hose (blows holes in the filter). Learned this from some friends of mine in the Semi air filter cleaning business and it just seems like a good idea for our permanent filters. Second be careful with the amount of oil you put on the newly cleaned filter. Not enough is not good but too much is really a bad idea. The excess oil will get sucked in with the air and contaminate the Mass Air Flow Sensor and all items downstream. I just get it slightly red and then leave it.

Hope this gets you some useful information.

·
Premium Member
2008 gmc envoy_sle
224 Posts
I cleaned my K&N Saturday-Sunday, though I haven't noticed much of a difference. Then again, the filter was not particularly dirty.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
284 Posts
K&N says that you should clean the filter after about 100K miles of use. That is way too long for most of us.

I recently cleaned mine after 5 years and about 75K miles on it. It was really dirty but I was able to easily see light through it.

I cleaned it twice before reoiling.

Now that I have about 500 miles on it since the cleaning, I would say that throttle response is better and hwy mileage is up slightly.

Keep in mind, my main reason for having a K&N is that it is reusable and I dont have to buy a new paper filter every year...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts