Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all....Did some searches on this topic with the basic answer pointing towards, "find a good shop". Well, here's the particular issue that I have. Just bought some used 22" rims from Ebay three weeks ago and failed to open up all the boxes to check condition of the rims. Anyhow, today I decide to go and put tires on the wheels. I come to find out that one rim has a small (1/4) defect. Chrome chipped down to the bare metal, but it was a clean chip. Do we have any chrome experts here on TV? Is there any way of touching up this area and fixing it myself? Normally, if it was in a more conspicuous spot, I would not be fussing so much. However, it's right smack on the outer lip of the rim.:duh:

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
First thing to do is contact the EBay seller. Were these supposed to be new? You will probably have to cover shipping costs. There really is no way to do a re-chrome at home. :m2:

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rims are used and it's been three weeks. Also, I went ahead and left positive feedback for the guy already. This is a case of his word against mine, although he did state in the description that there were no chips or rash. Ultimately, my screw up for not checking all the rims. I did open up one box, unfortunately it was not the one with the chip, otherwise I would have had a case. Anyone know of touch up paints out there that would make it less of an irritation?:(

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
You can try buffing the metal to a shine and then coat the chipped area with clear paint. The supposed chrome paints available just looks like silver paint IMHO.:m2:

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You wouldn't happen to know what metal(s) most aftermarket wheels are made of would you under that chrome? The reason I ask is because the metal under that chip looks like a brass color almost. If it was more silver looking, that idea may be my best bet.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
You wouldn't happen to know what metal(s) most aftermarket wheels are made of would you under that chrome? The reason I ask is because the metal under that chip looks like a brass color almost. If it was more silver looking, that idea may be my best bet.
thats a layer from the chroming process. I believe it goes copper first then nickel then the chrome

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Luis. It looks like the chip is pretty deep then. Might have to do some local searches to see what's out there as far as repair. I wouldn't have to rechrome the whole wheel would I?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
239 Posts
:m2:
thats a layer from the chroming process. I believe it goes copper first then nickel then the chrome
Thats exactly right. I had a similar issue on my Infiniti chrome wheels. lightly sand the sharp edges to ensure there won't be more peeling. than buy a silver appliance paint(they have it on the web) the silver won't look chrome but will definetly take the curse away. Appliance paint will stand up due to it's high temp. capabilities. They may even sell a chrome appliance paint by now, im not sure. Again, not the best cover up but it will hide the curse and coat it so the chip won't get worse or rust. Just my :m2:

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Exactly what k400 said.....paint it....it'll at least give you somewhat a piece of mind....also since its to the bare metal you would want to prevent it from rusting...I remember when I had my 22's I curbed 3 and wifey 1......I felt like crap everytime I looked at the rims......as well it would cost more to rechrome than buying the wheels...good luck!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
Thanks Luis. It looks like the chip is pretty deep then. Might have to do some local searches to see what's out there as far as repair. I wouldn't have to rechrome the whole wheel would I?
you would have to rechrome the whole thing sadly. Or you can paint like the guys stated above. You should be able to try a few different shades till you get it right. If not then maybe color match powder coat the color of the truck just to be different

1 - 12 of 12 Posts