Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally installed my lift. The front is from “Mark the Liftmeister” and the rear is the Z71 springs (Bilstein HD's up front and Z71 shocks – but they have nothing to do with the lift).

If anybody wondered what a lift would look like with 20”wheels and street tires – here it is. Please see if there’s a way to make this thread invisible to the roadie!:worried:
Nah - I don’t care what others think. I do have my stock wheels with some Bridgestone A/T’s on them that I use over winter.

Things didn’t go quite as I had planned. Without all the details, I ended up doing it in my driveway – by myself. And I was trying to beat sundown so no pics of the process.

First thing I learned is to keep the spring compressor out as far as possible. First I only had 4 coils between and was scared to compress enough to get the spacer in and tighten the shock nut. So I un-compressed and got that 5th coil in there and redid it – worked fine then.
So I got the spacer in and put the assembly back in the truck. As I was tightening the top 2 bolts I thought that it looked almost the same from up top – I thought with the ½” spacer, it would lower the shock top – dohhh – I forgot to put the ½” spacer in.
Well, I’ll do the other side the come back and put it in.
So I do the other side but with the ½” spacer, I couldn’t get the lower part onto the bolt (where we use the pitman arm puller). I tried for a while but as I said I was racing the sun – so I put it together without the ½” spacer also.

Drove a little that night but the headlights were aimed too high. I knew that would be the case but it just reconfirmed that I had to do the rear springs the next day.

So I did the rear springs. Everything went fine there.

And now I’m actually glad I didn’t get the fronts ½” spacers in. I’m very happy with how it sits now. And I know it would have been easy enough to re-adjust, but my headlights are aimed almost perfect too.

I had an alignment done. It was out of wack. I don’t know how bad – here’s the print out. Someone that can interpret the #’s can say if it was way out or only marginally.
It rides sooo much better now. The ride isn't stiff at all - just not mushy like it was. And it doesn't get all squirrelly on these washboard, rutted, and pot-holed Pa. roads like it used to.

A pic from before.

A few from after.

Marks spacer.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,968 Posts
nice.....i'm still working on installing mine.

seems a little more than i can do solo....but who knows.....

i need something to get the bottom bold off....what is the pitman arm puller...and what size nut is it?

where can i get a pitman arm puller from?

ok...so your install..

pics look great. :thumbsup:

wanna come do mine? lol

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Hehe. Can't hide from me.

Actually, outside the Offroad forum, we don't go after anybody for doing things for reasons other than offroading. You need a lift, you get a lift, everybody's happy. :woohoo:

Anyway, those alignment numbers were horrible for caster, but the lift didn't affect that. I suspect you had some sort of impact on the lower control arm that pushed it back and messed up the caster. I do that every month or two, but I have a lifetime alignment and the shop is used to me coming in that often.

The lift also doesn't affect toe-in, and it looked like you were overdue for an alignment anyway. Do you remember when your last one was? That much toe-in error would cost you 1-2 MPG perhaps, so that's another reason to invest in regular alignments - to keep mileage up.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
nice.....i'm still working on installing mine.

seems a little more than i can do solo....but who knows.....

i need something to get the bottom bold off....what is the pitman arm puller...and what size nut is it?

where can i get a pitman arm puller from?

ok...so your install..

pics look great. :thumbsup:

wanna come do mine? lol
You can get it off without any special tools. Loosen the nut and soak it really well with a good penetrating oil, give it a while to soak in and then hit the bottom with a hammer a couple of time. Will come right off. You are in my area, PM me if you need any help getting it done. I'll see what I can do to help you out.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyway, those alignment numbers were horrible for caster, but the lift didn't affect that. I suspect you had some sort of impact on the lower control arm that pushed it back and messed up the caster. I do that every month or two, but I have a lifetime alignment and the shop is used to me coming in that often.

The lift also doesn't affect toe-in, and it looked like you were overdue for an alignment anyway. Do you remember when your last one was? That much toe-in error would cost you 1-2 MPG perhaps, so that's another reason to invest in regular alignments - to keep mileage up.
Well, I bought it GM Certified about 20,000 miles ago. It has 45,500 on it now.
I found out that GM Certified doesn't really mean anything though - just, if you find something wrong and have the patience to hassle with us - we might do something about it - but probably not!:mad:
This is the first I had an alignment done. Probably should have after purchase. I keep my tires rotated, so I didn't notice any unusual wear. Plus with 2 sets of tires, they didn't get many miles on them yet.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Will come right off.
I think the statistics are that it comes right off for 10-20% of the members. The rest (like me) needed the Pitman arm puller. If it's your only vehicle, and you need to run to the parts store to get the puller if you need it, that may affect your decision to go without it.

You may also want to distrust any GM sales person's claims that fluids were changed before you bought it.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I think the statistics are that it comes right off for 10-20% of the members. The rest (like me) needed the Pitman arm puller. If it's your only vehicle, and you need to run to the parts store to get the puller if you need it, that may affect your decision to go without it.

You may also want to distrust any GM sales person's claims that fluids were changed before you bought it.

Bill, do you know what size nut that is? I know it's bigger than a 21mm.....but not sure how much?

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
The answer is 24mm, but it's gonna cost you a noob whap for asking. :crackup:

:bonk: :eek:

I could have done it the hard way, and gone outside and measured.....but you are such an oracle of information roadie.....thank you :hail::thx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts