Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I headed out with my sister's boyfriend to explore an old logging trail along Chestnut Mountain in Rocky Mount, VA. It's about 3 hours from where we will be holding TECORE...

The drive there took us through lots of farmland. My sister took the pictures. I thought this one was cool:

A small hump in the road/trail:

This is the first time Brian got stuck. He had been leading me up to this point because he knew the route. When he got stuck, I pulled around him to give him a tug. Good thing I was prepared... The extraction is the first scene in the youtube video below.

We went a bit further, only to find the ruts get much worse. We walked the next 1/2 mile or so to see what was ahead... all rutted. The ground was soft clay so it was very slippery. Since it had rained the prior two days, it was also very muddy.

After walking the course, we came up with a plan of attack. There were three ruts across the trail. The first half of this section had an easier left side. Then about halfway through, the left side became very deep. So at that point, we decided we would switch over into the right side ruts. Simple concept.

Starting in the left ruts:

Time to tug the blazer out again. I had to pull him through about 4 times total.

After reaching the halfway point, where we wanted to switch sides, we realized just how difficult it would be. No matter how slow, or how fast I would attack it, the truck would ride the ruts like it was train tracks.

Simple fix. Tie the front end to a tree, and use the tree to pull the front over as the truck proceeded forward.

It worked like a charm. This photo still doesn't give the ruts their full justice. It was pretty messy. You'll see me crabwalking down this portion of the trail in the video.

The end of the treacherous 1/2 mile:

I thought this was a pretty cool shot:

The trail ended with a little stream crossing. No real challenge, but still fun. Why is getting the tires wet so much fun? :undecided

Finally, the video:

yhLnERVh8vs

I hope you guys enjoyed it! We had a blast! :woot:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
294 Posts
Awesome james. The TB definitely did an awesome job especially crab crawling through those ruts, they looked pretty deep. Great video

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
728 Posts
great prep for TECORE, and damn your truck is soo sexy :hail:... please get a really sweet pic with Alek's truck during TECORE, i need a new background pic....lol.. looked like your TB was a monster compared to the blazer... so i must post my pics when i go to ONF this weekend i cant make it up to TECORE :( but going trail riding and camping here in FL in ocala nat'l forrest...

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Thank goodness there was ONE capable vehicle out there that day. :thumbsup: :hail:

Now I'm going to worry my pants off all the way to MORA. THAT is my nightmare kind of offroading. Rutty mud. Not my nice dry rocks and sand. Bet your tires flung mud chunks all the way to the water crossing after getting loaded up in the ruts.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank goodness there was ONE capable vehicle out there that day. :thumbsup: :hail:

Now I'm going to worry my pants off all the way to MORA. THAT is my nightmare kind of offroading. Rutty mud. Not my nice dry rocks and sand. Bet your tires flung mud chunks all the way to the water crossing after getting loaded up in the ruts.
It was different for me too. I haven't had much experience in deep mud like that. I liked the challenge. The amazing thing is that the truck really didn't struggle much. It bit in and just went. My biggest worry with ruts like that is the rear anti-roll bar getting hung up. I really hate the low design of the bar. I guess if nothing else, it acts to protect the diff a bit, but it's design creates a lot of drag.

awsome shots james; can't wait to see the pics from TECORE!
Yes yes. I imagine there will be a ton too. I don't imagine any of us will have internet at the campsites, so be ready for a fury of pictures come Sunday night.

I'm hoping to do another video too.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Bravo James! As usual making the TB look good. I wish there were more places up around me to play. Instead we just have lil trails with nothing anywhere close to that. I have been looking and hoping something would show up somewhere... but to no avail. I wish I could make TECORE but it just isnt feasible...:( Next weekend a buddy of mine is going to Rausch Creek, but I am working as usual. So I wont be able to play for a really long time now. Im atleast able to get the bike out from time to time for some enjoyment. Ok well gotta go get some new shirts for work. Im probably going to head down to the farm at some point in time this week and maybe get a little bit muddy but nothing anywhere close to that...

Howd the new racks and mounts hold up bouncing around in the ruts and stuff?

Looking forward to the TECORE pics..

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Howd the new racks and mounts hold up bouncing around in the ruts and stuff?
Very well actually. I need to get a rubber nipple to cover the back of the rear floodlight bolts. It wore the paint off of the gas can. Otherwise, no issues.

Next time you guys see it in use (TECORE) it will be really loaded down. That will be the real test for it. But I'm not worried. There is still zero movement of the rack when I shake it as hard as I can.

Coming up tonight... a quick and cost effective way to mount your shovel (or other tool) to your rack.

·
Registered
728 Posts
just a random thought here, but.. what happened to your rock sliders??

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The powdercoater had a damaged nozzle and had to special order a new one :rolleyes:. They should be installed on Wed or Thursday. Just barely sneaking it in before Tecore... hopefully.

·
Registered
728 Posts
cant wait to see them...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts