Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i got a thrush/dynomax muffler single in/dual out 3inch , 4inch tailpipe, i want it more louder, so i went to muffler shop, he said he could cut cat out and put a pipe in there and an o2 sensor, total price about $140. and there's a chance that the check engine light will still appear, so that's lame. (I read the forum for that spark plug fowler stuff, so you don't have to bring that up plz)

so i came back a week later, he asked if i wanted a cherry bomb performance cat, it probably wouldn't be as loud, cost about $250 installed, and i think my check engine light will be fine.

my question is, has anyone heard what a cherry bomb performance cat sounds like? or maybe, would putting this cat in be a good idea? any help would be great.

Thanks,
Martin:D:):cool::p:yes:;):thumbsup::thx

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
3" in and out? You're gonna loose a ton of torque man, I had a 3" single catback on my 02 for a 6 months and I lost so much low end it was ridiculous. Not worth it IMO.

EDIT:
Wait, do you already have that muffler on there? If you want it louder, pull the muffler or go with a smaller one. Touching the cat will throw the code, spark plug fouler is a crappy way to do it.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what does an extra half inch (2.5 inch is stock) of an exhaust pipe have to do with performance, that doesn't make any sense. 1/2 is not gonna make a big difference, more flow.

anyways, i think i will go with the cherrybomb performance cat, any other opinions would be great.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
A half inch is a lot when you're talking about low end torque and keeping the exhaust pulses savaging.

But, let us know how it works out for you.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
what does an extra half inch (2.5 inch is stock) of an exhaust pipe have to do with performance, that doesn't make any sense. 1/2 is not gonna make a big difference, more flow.

anyways, i think i will go with the cherrybomb performance cat, any other opinions would be great.
Stock is actually 2.75" OD if you measure it with a caliper.

And yes it does, the I6 cant flow that much exhaust so it hurts performance. Everyone claims less backpressure is the way to go, and I agree, on every motor EXCEPT the I6. The I6 needs a little bit of backpressure to help scavenge the cylinders because of the way the overlap on the exhaust cam is setup (and having VVT helps a little but not enough). Do what you want man, just do a search and read how the majority of people talk about how they lost low end torque with a true 3" catback (as in mandrel bent so no reduction in flow over the axle). If you dont want to listen to someone who has been there and dealt with it, be my guest.

As for the cat, the PCM will throw the B1S2 Heater circuit and B1S2 O2 Sensor performance codes as the rear O2 wont be reading any different than the front O2 like it should be to show the PCM that the cat is functioning properly. HPTuners, EFILive, and TunerCats can kill the codes for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts