Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in February I got my 06 Envoy Denali. Filled her up and next thing you know it wont start.. I had the check Gas Cap Light turn on. Go back and remove the gas cab and turn it again.. BINGO!!! she started right up.

Yesterday.. I thought I would test it and intentionally left the gas cap off, thinking to myself it will not turn over.. Well guess what it started right up..

Is there a sensor that is bad or is it the cap itself?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
I agree. Your dual failure was a big coincidence. The biggest cause of failure-to-crank problems is the ignition switch. Run a search to find a thread with pics - but it's an easy and cheap DIY repair. Second most common cause is a flaky starter solenoid that often responds (in an emergency) to a whack on the starter.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know this thread is little old.. But would like to know if there is a definitive way of checking my to see if my envoy Did indeed have a gas cap sensor?
Here is my VIN if it helps: 1GKET63M462329350

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,513 Posts
Modern vehicles don't have gas cap sensors.

What they have, is a sensor that checks the pressure inside the tank.
This sensors lets the truck start and run for a defined period of time to allow the tank to pressurize (this takes longer when the tank is near empty).

After the defined time, if the pressure is not at the correct value, the PCM assumes a pressure leak and throws a code.

This normally causes the CEL to light.

I know there is a separate indicator for a loose cap, but I have never seen it light.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.