Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, 04 LT, 170k, 40k on the present battery, when I start the truck it often doesn't charge, battery light is on, sometimes when I start driving it will start charging, other times if I shut the engine off and restart, it will charge normally. Had this problem once or twice a while back but now that the colder weather is here it happens every day. Belt is fine and no unusual noises from the alternator. Ideas?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,567 Posts
First things to check are the connections at the alternator, especially the 4 wire connector going into the body of the alternator. If all connections are good, it might be time for a new (or rebuilt) alternator.

·
Registered
2009 saab 9_7x
21 Posts
It might be the alternator. It might be the battery. It could also be the battery terminals if they are really corroded. Disconnect the battery terminals and clean out all the corrosion. Clean the terminals really good and spray some compressed air inside where the terminals bolts go. Scrape all that corrosion off until you see nothing but metal. Use a small flat screwdriver or a brass wire brush. You can use some dielectric grease in the terminal before reconnecting it too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts