Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 TB, sometimes when I get in to start, it starts but bat light is on, and gauges are not working. Drive awhile and bat light goes off and gauges start working?? Took to Auto Zone and they said I had bad battery?? Would this cause the problem?
Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
208 Posts
Auto Zone says it's the battery? Huh?

The true test of a battery is --- DOES IT START YOUR ENGINE? Doh!
  • Auto Zone sells batteries - right?
  • Case dismissed.
I'd test the alternator first.... just a good place to start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Auto Zone says it's the battery? Huh?

The true test of a battery is --- DOES IT START YOUR ENGINE? Doh!
  • Auto Zone sells batteries - right?
  • Case dismissed.
I'd test the alternator first.... just a good place to start.
I did that by disconnecting the battery, and car still ran.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,249 Posts
Not a good idea to disconnect battery while engine is running. Without a load on it, the alternator output voltage will climb and that could damage electronics in the truck. Use a multimeter to check alternator OR take truck to AZ or NAPA for charging system test.
I believe you probably have a cluster issue or bad ground.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I did that by disconnecting the battery, and car still ran.
Well... prolly time for a new alternator then. Disconnecting the alternator from a running engine can damage a lot of things... the ECM, stereo, GPS, the Time-Space Continuum... .. the alternator.

Don't even do that.... disconnecting your alternator from a running engine. I'm surprised that you didn't open a black hole in your neighborhood!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Do you have a Digital Volt-Ohm Meter (DVOM)?

If so, before you start the engine, attach the leads to Ground (black meter lead) and Positive (red meter lead).

Read the static battery voltage... write it down...
Start engine and immediatly read voltage. write that down.
Rev engine to around 3000 RPM.
Read voltage.

Report findings.

Theres more testing yet.......

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
11 Posts
03 TB, sometimes when I get in to start, it starts but bat light is on, and gauges are not working. Drive awhile and bat light goes off and gauges start working?? Took to Auto Zone and they said I had bad battery?? Would this cause the problem?
Thanks
Nick
If you go through the battery/alternator testing and the problem persists, try swapping out the cluster. Mine ('02) went bad a few years back, was throwing all kinds of intermittent problems. Many people pointed to Ignition switch. I pulled a cluster from a upscale '04, plugged it in, all worked fine. Cost me $20.
Been driving it without problems for 4-5 years now. Only minor issue is because its from up-level trim, it tell me my driver's seat is not adjusted. :)
Once you go through pulling the cluster for the first time, it takes about all of 15 minutes to do it.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
16 Posts
Thanks
Nick
Autozone and O'Reillys have a tester that they can connect to the battery then you start the engine up and it tests the alternator, battery and starter, I have it done annually for preventive maintenance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you go through the battery/alternator testing and the problem persists, try swapping out the cluster. Mine ('02) went bad a few years back, was throwing all kinds of intermittent problems. Many people pointed to Ignition switch. I pulled a cluster from a upscale '04, plugged it in, all worked fine. Cost me $20.
Been driving it without problems for 4-5 years now. Only minor issue is because its from up-level trim, it tell me my driver's seat is not adjusted. :)
Once you go through pulling the cluster for the first time, it takes about all of 15 minutes to do it.

Thanks, will try that. Was planning on a trip to pullapart for another job. Best advice zo far! Thanks
Nick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts