Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried changing there transmission fluid by pumping it out. I was wondering what volume/percent of the fluid I could expect to get out. My trailblazer I just bought has 74K. I was going to try this instead of dropping the pan. I know I can't change the filter this way.

Is there any problem with mixing in synthetic fluid? Does anyone have any suggestions? Synthetic fluid type?

· Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should I change 1/3 of the fluid, drive it for a couple of weeks and then do it again? Maybe a couple of times. If I do this will I still need to replace the filter and fluid at 100k?

· Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,834 Posts
You can get a hose down that pipe that will suck fluid? I would not go to the expense of changing fluid unless I also changed the filter, as least the first time.

I also put a Hughes +2 qt finned aluminum pan with a drain plug on it. Makes changing fluid quick and the cooling effect of the finned alum. pan and 2 more quarts fluid.

· Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,834 Posts
How do you plan to get the gunk from the bottom of the inside of the pan clean? Also there are particales stuck to the magnet on the inside of the pan that should also be cleaned off. You did say 74K and do you know if the last owner ever had the tranny fluid changed?

· Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
8,149 Posts
Pumping out through the filler tube is a good way to keep down the mess if you don't have a drain plug in the trans pan. Pump out what you can, then drop the pan. Much less mess.:m2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.