Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking about changing my plugs and wires and i see that u need to set a gap and torqe or sumtin can someone explains what setting the gap and torque mean ? thanx :woohoo:

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
on our engines, (assuming you have the 4.2 i6), there aren't any wires to change. everything is direct ignition and uses coils. all you would have to do is change the plugs.

some spark plugs are gapped correctly right out of the box, but it wouldn't hurt to check. the gap is the distance between the electrode and the tip.

torque is how tight the spark plug should be in the cylinder head. typical torque for spark plugs is 13-15 lb-ft.

and as a side note, stay away from BOSCH plugs..they're the worst you can get. ACDelco Iridiums or even the NGK Iridiums work best.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can sum1 link me what spark plugs i should order i want the best ones no matter the price cause my car really needs them .i bought bosche platnum 4's im gunna return them i guess i got the 02 chevy trailblazer lt 4.2 vortec

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
I had BOSCH +2 Platinums running in my engine for about 6k miles. i didn't have any problems with them, i actually noticed improvements right after i put them in, but they went away after about 100 miles. When i took them out in december, i noticed that a couple of them had BENT TIPS! thats when i went and got different plugs, and put them in the next day.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
You should not have to change the factory spark plugs until you are ~100,000 miles.
:iagree: Unless you have a problem with the way your engine is running. I changed mine to NGK's at 100K, and really didn't notice any change.

IMO, changing them before 100K (unless there is a problem) is a big waste of time & $$.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
na i think they def need a change i got over 90k in a 02 that i beat the crap out of everyday floor it like 20 times a day i noticed wierd thing misfire sumtimes at idle but i heard the platnums are horrible so i wanted the best ones... i hear ngks are good every1 noticed a diffrence when they put em in

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
na i think they def need a change i got over 90k in a 02 that i beat the crap out of everyday floor it like 20 times a day i noticed wierd thing misfire sumtimes at idle but i heard the platnums are horrible so i wanted the best ones... i hear ngks are good every1 noticed a diffrence when they put em in
NGK's are the best out there IMO. I put copper plugs in my galant when it was misfiring and it fires up real nicely. only thing about copper is that you have to change them out constantly....but still runs great.

but acdelco's seem to run best with our engines.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
can any1 tell me exactly wich model # so i can order them online or a link i got 02 chevy traiblazer lt with vortec 4.2 i want the best ones

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
6 Posts
BUY at AUTOZONE

i actually researched all online stores and EBAY. BEst deal out there so far is www.autozone.com will narrow it down to year make and model can even have it delivered to you if you want. Best thing, they stared the new Autozone rewards card and we end up getting a great discount once we do i think 5 TRAILVOY care and maintennace purchases:crazy:
not advertising lol but i am a regular there, bought fuel filter, gas filter, then o2 sensors, now spark plugs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts