Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have seen many posts stating you have to take off the entire front facia to replace a headlight. That is not true. I installed my HID kit in under 15 min. Never once took off the grill. Ok

Driverside- Reach behinde the headlight remove the rubber cover twist the bulb out and replace. Not hard just have to be patient and you will see how easy it is. Took me 5 min.

Pass Side- You will kick yourself when you realize how simple this is. Ok you would think how to I reach back there? Ok ready>> Take out the three screws that hold on the airbox cover. Take off the airbox cover the whold back of the light is now exposed. Take off the rubber and replace the light or lights. Super simple.

If your installing Plug and Play HID bulbs this is the easiest way to do that. You put them in the same way, but you now have the wires from the hids that will not allow you to put on the rubber cover. Well you can put a small slit in the cover and put a hole in the center when you slide over the wires and put the rubber cap back on the pressure of the rubber will hold them on just fine.

To mount the ballast boxes clean the plastic part between your high and low beem bulbs on the back of the light if you look and feel you will see exactly where i am talking about. Remove the two sided tape on your box, if you don't have it add it, but do this first so they will never move on you also where they are it is nearly impossible to get them wet. Put the tape on the box but put a bead of crazy glue in an x on the tape. The tape will hold the glue in place for it to dry and the crazy glue makes a bond to reinforce the tape it is super strong.

Will post pics if people are interested. Hope I can help thanks all. :tiphat:woohoo:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See...

I said the same thing than it just hit me like a brick to the face. It makes life supers super simple. The drivers side is just as silly when you look at it. You put your hand under and up the back of the light and tada it's right in your hand you can do it all with the grill on. Glad to help :D:thumbsup::woohoo:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
i must have a super duper easy grille to remove...
I can remove my grille... in about 10 seconds.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
916 Posts
My hands won't fit between the battery & the back of the lights, and still allow enough room the manipulate the bulb sockets. Taking off the battery bar, removing the battery, then removing the air box takes longer and is more difficult than popping eight clips.

Thanks for the tip though. I'm sure folks with smaller hands will find it useful.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not saying anyone has to go my route just saying for some they may like it this way. :D

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,531 Posts
glad I got me an envoy. :D
Step 1) open hood
Step 2) lift two clips holding on headlight assembly
Step 3) remove headlight assembly

Takes me all of 10 seconds per headlight. :laugh::raspberry

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
replacing low beam bulb

Ok, I have seen many posts stating you have to take off the entire front facia to replace a headlight. That is not true. I installed my HID kit in under 15 min. Never once took off the grill. Ok

Driverside- Reach behinde the headlight remove the rubber cover twist the bulb out and replace. Not hard just have to be patient and you will see how easy it is. Took me 5 min.

Pass Side- You will kick yourself when you realize how simple this is. Ok you would think how to I reach back there? Ok ready>> Take out the three screws that hold on the airbox cover. Take off the airbox cover the whold back of the light is now exposed. Take off the rubber and replace the light or lights. Super simple.

If your installing Plug and Play HID bulbs this is the easiest way to do that. You put them in the same way, but you now have the wires from the hids that will not allow you to put on the rubber cover. Well you can put a small slit in the cover and put a hole in the center when you slide over the wires and put the rubber cap back on the pressure of the rubber will hold them on just fine.

To mount the ballast boxes clean the plastic part between your high and low beem bulbs on the back of the light if you look and feel you will see exactly where i am talking about. Remove the two sided tape on your box, if you don't have it add it, but do this first so they will never move on you also where they are it is nearly impossible to get them wet. Put the tape on the box but put a bead of crazy glue in an x on the tape. The tape will hold the glue in place for it to dry and the crazy glue makes a bond to reinforce the tape it is super strong.

Will post pics if people are interested. Hope I can help thanks all. :tiphat:woohoo:
:)thanks blazer boy great instructions

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,762 Posts
My hands won't fit between the battery & the back of the lights, and still allow enough room the manipulate the bulb sockets. Taking off the battery bar, removing the battery, then removing the air box takes longer and is more difficult than popping eight clips.

Thanks for the tip though. I'm sure folks with smaller hands will find it useful.
9 clips (one in the center.)

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
2,006 Posts
in the amount of time it takes to fiddle with reaching behind this, and removing that.. its just as fast to remove the grille and take the lights out for easy access.. or you can have a '07 or newer model TB and the crossbar doesnt go through the headlights, or you can have an Evnoy.. unfortunatly, i have an SS so the grille came out when i did my lights, and every time i go racing...

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
316 Posts
Funny thing is I have had to replace the bulbs 3 times and everytime I did exactly what you have described (Remove the air filter cover on passenger side and reach in behind the driver side)......

I used to hate doing it specially the driver side because of lack of space available and was always worried that I would damage the bulb getting it in there. Then not too long ago I found a few threads that discussed removing of the grill to do the replacement :bonk:. I may just try removing the grill procedure next time, knowing how painful it is to do it without removing them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can take out the bulbs in mine in 3 seconds a side don't even need to take the airbox out.. Idk mabey I'm a magician I just twist them out I'm not gonna take my headlights out to replace one bulb or add hids my hids on the long side took 15 min most of that was cleaning for the mounts.. W out that about 6 min I was up and running:crazy:For each their own I guess...

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,733 Posts
:hissy:Yeah, i've got extra large hands and there's no way I could get my hands in there, but for folks with small hands it may be the way to go! Just like t-stat change, some folks take the alt. off, but I went in the drivers wheel well, different strokes for different folks!

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
9 Posts
Replacing Bowtie emblem in front grille

I just bought a Black grille (Bow Tie) emblem for my '06 Trailblazer. Whats the easiest way to access the rear of the original 1? Can I just maybe remove like the 4 top clips and be able to get to the back to unbolt it, maybe?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
i must have a super duper easy grille to remove...
I can remove my grille... in about 10 seconds.
Me too... Done it dozens of times.

I've tried both ways, and with the issues in touching the glass part of a bulb with fingers (oil will cause lamps to overheat in a spot and burn through) I've found it much easier to just pop off the grill, slide up the two tabs that hold the light fixture in place and work on everything out in the open.

I can actually pop the grill and pull the lamps faster than I can unscrew the air box lid and my hands don't fit well on the other side either.

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,762 Posts
I can do it fast both ways but perfer to take grill out less dirty and minus scrapes ! but since I installed HID,I don't change them anymore and there brighter and less strain(wattage) on the alt.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.