Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 3.42 gears in my '08. Just curious, how expensive would it be to swap those out for 3.73's? I have a 4x4, so would have to do both axles.

I just think that the 3.42 is not enough to keep a good torque curve for this vehicle, especically at highway speeds. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
I asked roadie and alek this question this weekend at MORA cause alek had 4.56 put in his. The anwser was "in the rane of 3k to 4k" not a good cost to benefit ratio in my comparison. If they tranny goes out I will deffinatley spend the money and rebuild the front and rear ends and put 4.10 in. Short of that, I wont be looking at this mod for a while.

If your wondering why so much, it is the front end that kills you. They pretty much have to take the entire front end apart to change the front dif out. GM says the labor hours for the rear is 1.5 hours. The front is 10. At 95 dolllars an hour, plus the cost of the gears fluids and any parts that need to be replaced with the swap.

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
normally 600 for the rear and 800 for the front. it shouldnt cost any more than 2k if so your getting ripped off.

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
Sorry buc, but still not a good enough cost to benefit for me.
if you have heavier rims and calipers the 4.10+ are beneficial. w/ 3.73 gears and heavy rims + brakes as a daily driver i nearly have to fill the tank twice a week. W the 4.10 gears makes it easier for me to move my my truck w/ big rims and brakes therefore filling up the gas tank once every week and a half. so to say its not benefical seem beneficial to me.

But thats your decision and yours only.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts