Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well at 803 miles i decided to change my oil filter. I bought the mobil 1 M1-206 filter and it is a nice step up over the factory one. The ac delco that comes stock on the tbss is very small, to small for me so this is a nice bump up.

And it all works fine.

ps- guy on e bay had a pack of 6 shipped to you for 40 bucks

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yep, just received my six-pack of M1-206's from ebay guy, $45 delivered to my door. Glad to hear that they fit properly, and the little extra oil capacity is nice too!

·
Registered
154 Posts
What's up with the part numbers?

I got an email from Dale on eBay and he replied:
The 06 Trailblazer with the 6.0L takes an M1-107 and the Trailblazer with the 4.8L takes the M1-206 and the Trailblazer with the 5.3L takes the M1-107 also.

So what about the M1-206 you put in? Is it larger or did you get the wrong one. I will call Mobil One this week to ask
Patrick

·
Registered
588 Posts
CopyGuard said:
I got an email from Dale on eBay and he replied:
The 06 Trailblazer with the 6.0L takes an M1-107 and the Trailblazer with the 4.8L takes the M1-206 and the Trailblazer with the 5.3L takes the M1-107 also.

So what about the M1-206 you put in? Is it larger or did you get the wrong one. I will call Mobil One this week to ask
Patrick
There is another thread on this already just search "oil filter list". That being said, yes the M1-107 is the direct replacement, but the M1-206 will work and yes it is larger. Will give you slightly more oil capacity.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
849 Posts
The M1-filter filters well, but IMHO too well. What I mean by this is the resultant increase in oil-pressure that I saw on my FBody after switching to the M1 filter. In other words, the filter media was acting as a restriction - and this was with the 206 filter! Swapped back to a Delco, and the oil-pressure came back to more 'normal' levels.

Its been "proven" over and over on BITOG that the extra filtration of the M1 filter isn't really necessary for obtaining stellar UOA results. Many in fact prefer the K&N filter which does a fairly poor (comparatively) job of filtration, but has excellent "flow" characteristics. Me, personally, the Delcos work just fine.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
02redhawk said:
The M1-filter filters well, but IMHO too well. What I mean by this is the resultant increase in oil-pressure that I saw on my FBody after switching to the M1 filter. In other words, the filter media was acting as a restriction - and this was with the 206 filter! Swapped back to a Delco, and the oil-pressure came back to more 'normal' levels.

Its been "proven" over and over on BITOG that the extra filtration of the M1 filter isn't really necessary for obtaining stellar UOA results. Many in fact prefer the K&N filter which does a fairly poor (comparatively) job of filtration, but has excellent "flow" characteristics. Me, personally, the Delcos work just fine.
Wow, thats good info to know. I never noticed that with my K&N, but then again I never really paid attention to it either. I only ran 1 K&N on my TB before I switched to Amsoil's filter, it is easier to order the oil and filter from one place than two.

·
Registered
298 Posts
02redhawk said:

Good info! Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,529 Posts
I already bought the fram double guard (that was all they had) What are your guys thoughts on Fram?

·
Registered
2006 chevy
849 Posts
Point of my previous posting, to also help shed some light, is that persons were getting BETTER UOA results with the K&N (which had poorer filtration but better "flow") than they were with the better-filtering Mobil-1.

In essence, the extra filtration of the M1 didn't overcompensate for its reduced oil-flow, and the engine was actually seeing more comparative wear then as a result. The K&N, allowing easier flow, ended up with reduced engine-wear (UOA comparison) despite the lesser filtering media.

Do a 'search' for username 'Patman' on BITOG or LS1Tech, and you can have oodles of reading. :)

STILL, I'd choose an M1 filter over a Fram any day of the week, month, year.

·
Registered
302 Posts
asphalt-hp said:
i think fram is good, stick with any known name brand and i think you'll be o.k., I personally use the K&N....:m2:
STAY AWAY FROM FRAM!!!! Very poor QC @ Fram...their filter media has been known to come apart & clog the oil pickup screen.

·
Registered
588 Posts
02redhawk said:
Point of my previous posting, to also help shed some light, is that persons were getting BETTER UOA results with the K&N (which had poorer filtration but better "flow") than they were with the better-filtering Mobil-1.

In essence, the extra filtration of the M1 didn't overcompensate for its reduced oil-flow, and the engine was actually seeing more comparative wear then as a result. The K&N, allowing easier flow, ended up with reduced engine-wear (UOA comparison) despite the lesser filtering media.

Do a 'search' for username 'Patman' on BITOG or LS1Tech, and you can have oodles of reading. :)

STILL, I'd choose an M1 filter over a Fram any day of the week, month, year.
I thought I read in another post somewhere that under high pressures there is an oil filter bypass that kicks in anyways, would this alleviate the issue of the M1 filtering too well???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts