Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on the last oil change i did. I reset the change oil light on the dash. This was 10000 miles ago. I know the system will notify me when it needs to be done again. I am getting worried that its been so many miles without a change light. I did use full synthethic oil. If that makes the difference i don't know. Help Help. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,749 Posts
10,000:eek: i think it's about time if even it your reminder does not come on. I put about 8,000mi a year on my TB, I change my oil 3 times a yr. Syn is good but I believe you've gotten your money's worth by now.:m2:

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
:chillpill: .How many months has it been? The manual says to change at least yearly if the OLM doesn't light up. IIRC, there have been members going over 12k before the OLM lights up. And that was on dyno oil. No need to freak out. Do you have the D.I.C? Does it say how much oil life is left?

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
GM Recommends you change the oil at least once a year or every 10k or 12k miles..i forgot what they recommended..

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,113 Posts
wat oil did yu change to and wat filter did you use?

this could make all the differnce...i changed mine and i cant get my oil light off...its on for about 10sec wen i start the truck...then it goes off :undecided

i switchd to amsoil(full synthetic)...oil change every 25kmiles...filter every 3 months or 3k gauranteed from amsoil.

at 3k the light wont come on..

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
GM Recommends you change the oil at least once a year or every 10k or 12k miles..i forgot what they recommended..
GM recommends you change the oil according to the OLM, OR once a year.

i changed mine and i cant get my oil light off...its on for about 10sec wen i start the truck...then it goes off :undecided
Did you reset the oil light? If you don't have the Driver Information Center, then you simply turn the key to "ON" (do not start the engine) and push the gas pedal to the floor 3 times in 5 seconds, then wait a few seconds. The light should flash and the OLM will be reset.

Some people have had problems doing this, not sure why. I just reset mine last week, worked on the first try.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
The OLM doesn't know or care what type of oil or filter you use. There is no little lab in the engine to test the oil. It is set-up with the assumption that you are using dyno oil and a filter. The life of the oil is deduced by a set of algorithms based on how you drive. (highway, stop and go city, short or long trips, WOT starts, etc.) All these things are taken into consideration. It does not take into consideration things like dust storms or the occasional goof that pours transmission fluid or washer fluid in the crankcase.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
The OLM doesn't know or care what type of oil or filter you use. There is no little lab in the engine to test the oil. It is set-up with the assumption that you are using dyno oil and a filter. The life of the oil is deduced by a set of algorithms based on how you drive. (highway, stop and go city, short or long trips, WOT starts, etc.) All these things are taken into consideration. It does not take into consideration things like dust storms or the occasional goof that pours transmission fluid or washer fluid in the crankcase.
:iagree:

Good points - especially the one about "the occasional goof"! :laugh:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well first of all thanks for the advise from all of you guys. I dont believe i have the "DIC". Its the LS model. I use Mobil One Full syn and the Mobil one Filter. I use it in my Ranger and have had great results. I changed it in March i believe. Well i am taking it camping next weekend and i will see if it comes on. How long do i have after its on?

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
476 Posts
Before many of you were born (Sorry! that's just another way of saying I'm an old fart) there was an extensive test done involving a New York taxi fleet on types of oil, frequency of oil changes and filters.

It started with all the fleet vehicles getting their engines torn down, rebuilt and brought back to factory specs. After being spec'd each vehicle was assigned: An oil change schedule, specific barrel of oil (all mfg marks deleted), and specific (all MFG marks deleted) oil filter.

During the tests oil samples were taken at each change and analyzed.

At the end of 100,000 all of the cabs were returned to an independent lab, each engine was torn down and the entire engine was measured for wear.

The conclusion was that as long as a quality oil & filter are used there was no measurable difference in wear between engines that had oil changes at 2,000 miles and those that went 6,000 miles.

I typically would do an oil and filter change at 4,000 miles. Over the years that has changed to 10,000 miles. All of the vehicles I've owned (since new) and that amounts to only 13 have been maintained on a steady basis and as of today none burned, or had to have oil added between changes and 95% of them had in excess of 100,000 on them the others being in the 90,000 range.

I typically buy a new one when my current ride reaches either 100,000 or 10 years. Usually the body's going by that time.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
Once the change oil light comes on--- its recommended you change within the next 2 tankfulls of gas mileage.

I drive for about 10,500 to 11,500 miles between oil change (regular oil). My most recent oil analysis at about 146,000 came back good.

To reset the light- on some of our trucks- the light will never flash-- mine never has..
I simply do the foor pressing 3 times- then leave the keys in for about 30-60 seconds... while I do something else.
When I restart the light is gone.

(I used to try the reset procedure countless times- I always reset and then remomved the key. after not getting the light to flash). I eventually just leave it for a bit- and since then its reset on the 1st try.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Some people have had problems doing this, not sure why. I just reset mine last week, worked on the first try.
I used to work at a shop doing oil changes. One of the things they told us to do during training when resetting the oil light on most cars is to start the car after resetting the light. They said this will reset the system and the ECU will recognize it. I've done it many time and never had a problem. Didn't even know it was that hard to do cause its worked for me every time.

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
I have the 10 second oil light thing happening too. I always figured since the RPMs started high (usually just under 1500RPM) and the light went off when the RPMs settled in closer to 600, it was just the engine needing a few seconds to get oil pumped through. :suicide:

:thx for posting to this thread, otherwise I never would have thought to look for a reset procedure. I'll make a note to try the reset when I go to lunch today...

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I have the 10 second oil light thing happening too. I always figured since the RPMs started high (usually just under 1500RPM) and the light went off when the RPMs settled in closer to 600, it was just the engine needing a few seconds to get oil pumped through. :suicide:

:thx for posting to this thread, otherwise I never would have thought to look for a reset procedure. I'll make a note to try the reset when I go to lunch today...
I think you are confusing the "change oil" light with a "oil pressure light". There is a huge difference.

It sounds like your light that is staying on for 10 seconds is the "change oil" light.

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
With my previous 2 vehicles, I drove them well past the 220K mile mark until the engine fell out or the wheels fell off :sadcry:, and whenever something was wrong, or needed a reset, the light stayed on until fixed. I guess I'm still getting used to my TB.

I probably should sit down and read that manual, but reading all the goodies about different mods is so much more fun :woot: At any rate, the reset procedure worked, so it's all good now.:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.