Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:hissy:K, I changed my oil last weekend on my 02' Trail Blazer.

Now the past few days everytime I start my truck, The "Change Oil" light comes on for like a minute, then turns off. Mind you this never happened before the oil change. And yes I used the right oil!:hissy:

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,651 Posts
You have to reset it.

Turn the key to the on position, and press the gas pedal down 3 times with in 10 secs. Leave the key to the on position and the oil light will start to blink. Then turn the key to off and your good to go.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,651 Posts
The computer can't tell when you do a oil change. When it resets it your telling the computer you put new oil in. So when it resets it goes to 0 and depending on the way you drive, i think the light goes off between 7500, 10,000 miles. Maybe someone can describe it better then i did.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay yeah thats a lil help. Just don't understand why it's going on when I just did it and it never did before. Plus I change it Every 3000 miles anyways.
Oh well. If it dont correct the issue I will have to take it in. Have a few problems i need looked at anyways "Like when I'm driving, and pressing on the pedel from a stopped position, I get the Sucking noise like i have a supercharger. That And a Few wheel bearings"

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,269 Posts
how long have you had your Trailblazer?
yout TB has an oil life monitor.

the way it works-
new oil... reset the oil life monitor.
as you drive the computer and a mathematical algorithm determine how the oil is aging- based on your style-- it will illuminate the light when the oil has reached its useful life.

3000 miles is no longer the rule... you can follow it- but its essentially a waste of money. You also have 7 quarts of oil.
Depending on how you drive/tow- that oil light may come on anywhere up to 12,000 miles since your last oil change (and oil life reset).
Several of us here go 10-12,000 miles on the oil.
I use reg dino oil... and im at about 10,100 miles since my last change.
other go this long- but on synthetic.

so if youve had your TB for a long time- (how many miles)
I would tell the dealer.. Ive had my TB for 50,000 miles--- and my oil light finally came on.... can your tech tool scan to see if the system is working properly?"

if you dont care about the oil life monitor-- just reset it and forget about it till the next time the light comes on...
just know that 3000 mile oil changes.. are a thing of the part.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
7 Quarts you say huh? Cause Autozone said 5 And thats what I put in!

Hmmmmmmm:undecided

So maybe i can actually fit in that bottle of Lucas like I wanted

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,671 Posts
You guys do realize, don't you, that if folks on here started reading their owners manuals, the posts would probably be cut in half.:yes:

C.B.
:eek:fftopic:
And that would be a bad thing? :D

Seriously, (back on topic) as someone who has changed their oil a few times, and has read the owner's manual from front to back, (as others have said) the I6 engine takes 7 (seven) quarts.

Getting mechanical advise from Autozone is like getting medical advise from a cashier at a drug store!

Count me in with the ones that are surprised that the dipstick isn't reading about two quarts low.

Also, be aware that on the I6 engine, due to the length of the oil pan - the vehicle has to be perfectly level to get an accurate reading. My driveway has a slight slope to it, and which direction it is facing makes as much as 1 - 1.5 quarts difference for the reading on the dipstick.

One more thing, don't trust the oil pressure gauge for this. It is a glorified idiot light. Any reading it shows only means you have above 12 psi. The switch is a one way switch and when the engine starts it closes and then the computer "guesses" at the oil pressure from there.

And yes - forgot about the 3,000 mile oil changes. The only ones that benefit from that are the oil companies and the retailer that sold you the oil.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,269 Posts
some are very finicky about the reset procedure..
I sometimes had to do it 20-30 times before I figured out what not to do..

do the gas pedal procedure- 3 times- and leave it.

dont turn off the key- dont start the vehicle.
leave it as is for about 2 minutes... just clean your map pocket or your window or something... then you can turn it off.
upon the next key start-- the light should be off.
On some- when the ligh resets it will flash.
In my 144K miles-- I have never seen mine flash on the reset...

last couple of times I did it the above way- stomp 3 times- and leave it for a few minutes while I did something else..
when I restarted- the light was reset... on the 1st attempt.

never did say how long youve had the TB for...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've had it for about 3 or 4 months now.
This weekend im off "Finally" so I will fill it and do what it needs then and hopefully it will take care of my issues. If all else fails, I have a 2 year bumper to bumper warrenty on it so thats my Backup plan!

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,671 Posts
well I did the 3 pedel thing and nothing, But i guess it would help to have the right about of oil in there first!
No, no no. You just aren't getting it. Yes you should have the correct amount of oil in the engine, however that has nothing to do with your light not resetting.

The OLM (Oil Life Monitor) doesn't check the oil for you in ANY way. The OLM does NOT know if there is oil in the engine, what type of oil you use or anything. You could put vegetable oil in there and the OLM wouldn't know the difference.
It is a computer algorithm that monitors things like engine revolutions, number of starts, load on engine, engine temp. etc.
http://assets.cobaltnitra.com/teams...5efa6b30/975c7820afba1004895010145efa6b30.pdf

http://www.goodwrench.com/Services/OilChange.jsp

When you do the gas pedal reset you are TELLING the computer - hey I changed the oil. Otherwise it wouldn't know.
Like Rbarrios said some people have a lot of trouble resetting the OLM light. I found that it is a matter of timing. The pedal has to go all the way to the floor and you can't do it too fast or too slow.
The people who have the Driver Information Center get lucky when it comes to resetting the OLM. They just push the button on the steering wheel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.